P3dV4 Native VR - Oculus Rift - Oversize Imagery

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
idsteph

P3dV4 Native VR - Oculus Rift - Oversize Imagery

Post by idsteph »

When I toggle Stereo in VR Virtual Cockpit the image stabilises nicely but is huge - I am a pilot in land of the giants !!

Any suggestions please /

Thanks Ian
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: P3dV4 Native VR - Oculus Rift - Oversize Imagery

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Ian,

Can you give us a little more detail on what you're seeing? Do you see a noticeable difference between mono and stereo modes? Can you post screenshots showing this?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
idsteph

Post by idsteph »

Rob
Sorry... heres as much as I have.

p3dv4 with hotfix 1 applied.
Alienware Aurora r6 with gtx 1080, i7 7700 32gb ram. Orbx 64 bit scenerys (all currently available). Tested with PMDG and LM stock aircraft. Oculus Rift CV1 current software - all updates applied.

Sim runs perfectly well in none VR. Switch to LM VR (ie native) and image in Oculus headset is jittery with low FPS headset visuals are normal sized, screen binocular visuals are normal size. Toggle stereo and FPS in headset improves, image is none jittery and smooth but is enormous. Outside scenery is equally and proportionately enlarged. The visuals on my display monitor remain correctly sized and unchanged (binocular image) regardless of stereo toggle, it is the image within the headset that dramatically becomes enlarged as if I am looking at everything through an enormous magnifying glass. Mouse control in toggle or non toggle remains very hit and miss although it is the visuals I am primarily interested in.

As an aside - I thought to test p3dv3 - It is exactly the same. There must be an interaction at the coding level which is bumping the zoom up somehow in Oculus when stereo toggle is used.

Regards Ian
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Does using the mouse and keyboard to zoom the camera out improve this at all?
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
idsteph

Post by idsteph »

The problem is not a localised zoom to a given point it is a whole image issue. it is if I am a tiny person within a huge cockpit the size of a large room. Everything is there,perfectly clear and sharp - instruments, controls etc but the whole image is massively oversized

Regards

Ian
RCFlyer

Post by RCFlyer »

Just wanted to add that I am experiencing this issue as well. I use P3DV4 and Oculus Rift with the latested updates in both.

Any solution to this?

Regards,

Danny
hobaoe

Post by hobaoe »

Ian, im having similar issues, the jittering in native vr is driving me crazy. let me know if you find the problem...
toutenglisse73

Post by toutenglisse73 »

Hi idsteph, that occures when you press the toggle stereo command that in fact activate the mono mode (standard VR cockpit view is stereo so 3D cockpit - mono you have the same image in each eyes so without 3D effect).
The mono mode gives better fps (same image for both eyes) and yes things seems to be "bigger", but to me it seems that only cockpit "seems bigger" and is affected by stereo/mono mode - external world to me seems the same as in stereo mode.
The "real view depth" given by stereo mode makes cockpit look the right size, while mono mode makes it seems really too large, it's 3D but without view depth effect.
Stereo mode is jittery / low fps because calculating 2 images with slightly different point of view so twice the work for CPU. In stereo mode it's important to set graphic options for easing the cpu work (affected by all 3d objects, scenery ones or autogen, trees and buildings, view distance for all of them, 3d waves, shadows and weather).
Personaly with a 7700K, for having a flat 90fps graph in afterburner (wich is important for a good VR experience - ASW on rendering 45 GPU calculated fps and 45 synthetic ones is already a bit jittery) - I usually only use max scenery complexity (airports and some monuments or bridges), no autogen at all (but OK with photoreal sceneries) shadows high only for my Aircraft (in and out) with low distance, and "light" weather density/80 miles.
My GPU (1080Ti) being powerfull I use 1.5 (or sometimes 1.75) pixel density, no Fxaa/4x Msaa/4xAF/medium textures/Vsync off/unlimited fps, Terrain : ultra/high/10M/1M, water High (and everything unchecked), special effects high/medium, Lightning everything checked but no dynamic reflections.
hobaoe

Post by hobaoe »

the good news is that flyinside is just around the corner, so then we will have perfect vr.
idsteph

Post by idsteph »

Thanks for the explanation folks. Seems the only solution is Flyinside which I use on P3D V3 and is fantastic - looking forword to V4 compatible version.

Ian