Merging of various Autogen definition files [RESOLVED]

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
pmemery

Merging of various Autogen definition files [RESOLVED]

Post by pmemery »

Very often scenery providers are delivering a specific set of autogen definition files for their sceneries. Depending on the installer these files can replace the original ones in the Autogen folder or just stay in the scenery folder

Is there a mean to install different autogen definition files and make sure that Prepar3D have them merged ? If yes what is the methodogy ? Through the addon.cfg and addon.xml ?

I read in the SDK that one category that can beed added with the above method is autogen but it is not clear as to how Prepar3d will interpret this addon (just add, replace or merge with the original one ..)

Thanks in advance
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Merging of various Autogen definition files

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Prepar3D cannot load or merge more than one autogen xml file. The add-on.xml can be used to define a location of an autogen xml file to be used by the system. This file will be used instead of the default AutogenDescriptions.xml without replacing it.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
pmemery

Post by pmemery »

thanks Rob, crystal clear
pmb

Post by pmb »

There is an Autogen Definition Merger by Arno Gerritson

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums ... erger.147/

which does the job of merging autogen entries given the developers provide appropriate files to be merged. I have been using it in Prepar3d3 and it works excellently, even together with ORBX/FTX Central 3. One of the developers making use of it has been iBlueYonder (Bill Womack).

Kind regards, Michael
Prepar3d4+5 Pro // Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung2 SSD 500 GB + SSD 1 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 pm Prepar3D cannot load or merge more than one autogen xml file. The add-on.xml can be used to define a location of an autogen xml file to be used by the system. This file will be used instead of the default AutogenDescriptions.xml without replacing it.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob, I am a huge fan of LM and every one of you working on P3D, but...
Would you not agree that in this day and age it is farcical that we are still bound by one of the biggest legacy restrictions bar 32bit?
The ability to quickly and easily merge different developers custom autogen at run time, and not have to pick and choose what works, or decompile, hack and recompile multiple xml and spb files, is something that should be part of the core sim in 2017!
Arno has proven the code can be done, his acm utility worked in v3 for me but I think it was possibly the most useful but least known about addons ever :(

Please LM, either replicate the code or licence it from Arno and incorporate it into P3D4? :)
Cheers K