Prepar3D v2.0 Developer Blog – DirectX11 - Discussion Thread

Forum Rules & News
cptmorgan0812

Post by cptmorgan0812 »

Quote:
Quote from Zach Heylmun on October 25, 2013, 17:22

cptMorgan,

Heat effects should certainly be possible for content developers to add to their aircraft.

Hey Thanks for the reply!

Are you referring to real Blurring or just a mist/smoke to mimic heat shimmer like FSX does?

Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Pardon the sidetrack from Dx11 discussion, but while the eye candy visuals and effects is really nice and adds to the immersion, but theres a number of simulation logic that I hope are addressed now or future. Things like AI not using the proper runways, because FSX insists on another runway as default and ends up with a 20kt tailwind. There are alot as im sure the dev team is aware. But is V2 more about visuals and CPU GPU workload balance or have you included some fixes to the simulation logic?

Thanks for the time, and again really looking forward to the upgraded sim.
hesynergy

Post by hesynergy »

Quote:
Quote from Zach Heylmun on October 25, 2013, 17:22

cptMorgan,

Heat effects should certainly be possible for content developers to add to their aircraft.

As excited as I to get into 2.0, I ran across some footage on YouTube, " IL2 cliffs of Dover"

If you want to see in-cockpit phenomenal lighting/shading effects there it is, and it's 2 1/2 years old...probably predates DX9

Don't tell me that you can't create ultra-real totally cinematic cockpit self shadowing and lighting effects in 2013!!

Talk about immersion!

Check out the YouTube footage on the IL2 cliffs of Dover sim.

This is what Lockheed Martin , Or any modern Sim should strive to accomplish ...almost 3 years after the fact!

Chas
FlyTweety

Post by FlyTweety »

Quote:
Quote from Hightower on October 25, 2013, 18:33

Pardon the sidetrack from Dx11 discussion, but while the eye candy visuals and effects is really nice and adds to the immersion, but theres a number of simulation logic that I hope are addressed now or future. Things like AI not using the proper runways, because FSX insists on another runway as default and ends up with a 20kt tailwind. There are alot as im sure the dev team is aware. But is V2 more about visuals and CPU GPU workload balance or have you included some fixes to the simulation logic?

Thanks for the time, and again really looking forward to the upgraded sim.

I´m complete with you!

I also wait for the day when i read from LM, that they renew the ATC/AI complex from the scratch.

As long as the ATC can´t keep the separation, not send them into holdings, not follow regular procedures, let them fly into/through mountains and so on, the fun and the education aspect while flying with AI Traffic is pretty limited.

Also if LM will not code a powerfull ATC themself, some 3rd Party Developers will and can do it.

But they need to get control over the AI Aircrafts and i really hope, LM will change that at the latest in v2.1

What would i give not to see an AI Aircraft turning 180° on the runway and roll back to the missed exit. Or rolling with 20 kts for the next 2000ft to get the next exit :(.
trcsimulators

Post by trcsimulators »

Dear Prepar3D,

We at TRC Simulators are very excited to read about the new development with Prepar3D 2.0!

We have a lot of gauges and hardware that interfaces with FSX and Prepar3D via Simconnect. I was wondering, are there any changes in that area? Is Prepar3D 2.0 a custom engine rebuild or (if I may ask) is the new engine a commercial 3e party engine like Frostbite3. Does Prepar3D 2.0 have an available SDK and is Simconnect still supported? How/is 3e party add-ons development effected? Is there, or will there be a beta version available? Thanks for the continuous development we have great performance hopes for this version 2!

Thanks,

Sander

TRC Simulators
mta00jtl

Post by mta00jtl »

Hi there,

I asked a similar question on another forum and didn't get much in the way of a response. Perhaps you guys can comment?

As a not very tech minded person I wanted to ask if the move to more processing being done by the GPU's will lead to less Out Of Memory type situations in V2.0. Does this change have an effect or is that something totally separate? Obviously the changes will allow for much more complex graphical work to do be done in P3D 2.0 so I'm curious to know if the 4GB limit (32 bit systems) will be better managed as a result of the change to GPU processing work. I should point out that for me OOM's are rare in 1.4 already but any improvements that allow for greater fidelity scenery and add on's will be most welcome!

Many thanks

James

Saul

Post by Saul »

Quote:
Quote from mta00jtl on October 29, 2013, 03:50

Hi there,

I asked a similar question on another forum and didn't get much in the way of a response. Perhaps you guys can comment?

As a not very tech minded person I wanted to ask if the move to more processing being done by the GPU's will lead to less Out Of Memory type situations in V2.0. Does this change have an effect or is that something totally separate? Obviously the changes will allow for much more complex graphical work to do be done in P3D 2.0 so I'm curious to know if the 4GB limit (32 bit systems) will be better managed as a result of the change to GPU processing work. I should point out that for me OOM's are rare in 1.4 already but any improvements that allow for greater fidelity scenery and add on's will be most welcome!

Many thanks

James

The short answer is YES James! Less OOM's if any!

Explanation is, v1.4 uses the CPU and 32 bit memory allocations for everything including graphics and simulation.

v2.0 will use both graphics memory and 32 bit cpu bound memory for simulation.

(Providing you have a DirectX 11 graphics card) otherwise you won't get the full benefit and will probably still experience OOM's

Regards

Saul
Sulset72

Post by Sulset72 »

Great news. What graphic card would be necessary to see the full potential of p3d 2.0? I am not asking for a brand name, but approximately what price range, what specifications should i look for? DX11 1, 2 or 3, shaders, 384 bit vram, any ideas anyone? Svein Tore Ulset, Norway
mroschk

Post by mroschk »

Hello,

i dont have the v2 Beta, but i want to ask if the FSUIPC is supported?

Thanks

Matthias
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Quote:
Quote from Sulset72 on October 29, 2013, 17:08

Great news. What graphic card would be necessary to see the full potential of p3d 2.0? I am not asking for a brand name, but approximately what price range, what specifications should i look for? DX11 1, 2 or 3, shaders, 384 bit vram, any ideas anyone? Svein Tore Ulset, Norway

They have suggested to have the best GPU you can afford. If you can afford it, then more is better and will take advantage of features and provide the performance, if you cant then you will most likely be scaling down settings to accommodate.
ErichB

Post by ErichB »

Looking forward to the release. With the beta allegedly coming to a close on 1 November, when is it normally likely for beta testers/developers to start providing more specifics, posting screen shots and the like?

The tidbits to date sound very encouraging.

Erich
vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

Quote:
Quote from ErichB on October 30, 2013, 06:51

Looking forward to the release. With the beta allegedly coming to a close on 1 November, when is it normally likely for beta testers/developers to start providing more specifics, posting screen shots and the like?

The tidbits to date sound very encouraging.

Erich

IIRC, they said the beta BUILD would expire November 1st, not the beta closing. There could be another beta build with a further expiration date. So, at this point, it is STILL anyone's guess as to release date - and I would then expect some more screenies etc shortly before that.

Vic
KelvinNZ

Post by KelvinNZ »

Of course, my 4TB Western Digital drive decides to crash on me and spent a whole weekend trying to recover all my data. Managed to get all of it but with a few small file corruption issues with the larger ones, Prepar3d V1.4 being an example of one. So, decided to not redownload 1.4, spend the time building my hardware controls and wait for 2.0 to come.

The throttle is hybrid but will do the trick for my GA work.

Here is my yoke:

Throttle, Trim, and Gear lever

WBard

Post by WBard »

That's pretty cool!
KelvinNZ

Post by KelvinNZ »

Thanks Wesley!! I don't do things half hearted. I hope this gear will be ready by P3D v.20 release time so I can christen it properly. A couple more pictures to show the progress, oh, and btw, if anyone is wondering the muscle car in the background is a 1972 Ford Falcon (Cobra Replica).

Also, the yoke is from a Beechcraft C-23 Sundowner aircraft. And, the travel distance of this yoke on the system is actually the travel distance of a Grumman AA-1C of 15cm forward and 15cm aft.

....oh bring on v2.0. Time to train.