P3Dv4.3 so slow booting up

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
DaveB

P3Dv4.3 so slow booting up

Postby DaveB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:38 pm

P3Dv4.3 is so slow booting up, like more than 10 minutes possibly 15 minutes from booting sim to flying.
I have to wait about two or three minutes till I even see the splash screen :( I've done all the General Debugging Steps so please don't suggest doing that again.

One thing I notice on viewing "Windows Task Manager" and under the Processes Tab I see in the "Memory (Private Working Set) " column P3Dv4, that the memory goes up very slowly while P3Dv4.3 is loading. Is there anything that could be causing it to load this slow. P3Dv4.2 used to load in about three minutes

Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Re: P3Dv4.3 so slow booting up

Postby Brady Butler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Hello,

Have you made any changes to your system between v4.2 and v4.3? More sceneries, changed hardware, new software, etc.

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer

DaveB

Postby DaveB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:38 pm

No nothing, I did have problems when I changed to P3Dv4.3 with it freezing on the splash screen and then later it would freeze when Generating Scenery files. But since I got it to boot up it has been so slow.

Poppet
Lockheed Martin

Postby Poppet » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Hello DaveB

Do you have any 3rd party Traffic Add On's or large Scenery Add On's that are launched from the Prepar3D v4 add-ons folder in the Documents location ? Do you see any Add On folders here ?

DaveB

Postby DaveB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 am

Yes I have hundreds in the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder as all my scenery is converted to XML files. Also I have a large number of ship files added the P3D\scenery\Global\scenery.

Poppet
Lockheed Martin

Postby Poppet » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Hello DaveB

AI traffic and Scenery Add Ons will certainly Impact launching times

Just to confirm this you could temporarily Click and Drag the Prepar3D v4 add-ons folder out of this location and pop it safely onto your Desktop, this will disconnect these Add Ons from Prepar3D

Then launch Prepar3D and test. When you are finished testing just delete the new generated folder and move back your original Prepar3D v4 add-ons folder

Let us know how you get on

DaveB

Postby DaveB » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:09 am

That didn't work if anything it has given me a load more work in having to reinstall a backup. I did as you suggested but it would not get past the splash screen, after fifteen minutes I checked to see if it had regenerated the Prepar3Daddon folder it hadn't so I closed it down using the task manager to stop the process because fifteen minutes stuck on the splash screen canT be right, then adding the addons folder back and restarting P3Dv4.3 it started asking me to enable each and every scenery that the addons folder contains, that was one problem too many. So I'm reinstalling a back up at this moment.

Return to “Other Support Questions”