View Group Management - Mind of its own?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
ncngrr

View Group Management - Mind of its own?

Postby ncngrr » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:47 am

Hi, guys.

First... I apparently haven't learned the secret handshake for getting help in this forum. I've posted several topics and see that many people have apparently viewed them, but mostly receive zero replies. So I continue fumbling around trying to get Multichannel to work properly. I search this forum based primarily on subject lines. If I'm being a jerk or unreasonable, please let me know!

I eventually got things to work okay only to find one day that FPS went from averaging ~30 down to single digits, for no apparent reason (I made no changes anywhere).

I uninstalled P3D Pro Plus in its entirety, ensured Win10/64 was up-to-date on the host and client PCs, ensured graphics drivers were up-to-date, downloaded/installed the current version of P3Dv4.5.

I created network.cfg, multichannel.xml, displays.xml, and viewgroups.xml files in accordance with the Learning Center. P3D starts nominally and the PCs talk to each other over the LAN.
I started up P3D and the first thing P3D does is modify the displays.xml to include:
- adding an outside view to a 2nd monitor on the host machine that is not part of the viewgroup, and doesn't even show up in the displays.xml file
- deleting a display on the client PC altogether, deleting its entry in the displays.xml file
- adding new displays to the configuration section based on host PC graphics cards that should not be included in the view group (I specified no outside views being rendered by the host PC, per the Learning Center)

No number of attempts to change/fix the view group and display configurations seems to have any effect whatsoever as P3D just does whatever it wants to do. This has been very frustrating.

What must I do to get assistance with this? Please.

Thanks.

Scott
Colorado Springs

ncngrr

Re: View Group Management - Mind of its own?

Postby ncngrr » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:48 pm

PC 1:
- i7-4770K, 16 GB RAM,
- 2 x GTX760x (no SLI)
-- Drivers 430.86
-- 760 (1)
--- Display Port: Not Connected
--- HDMI: Not Connected
--- DVI (1): 22" monitor, 1680 x 1050
--- DVI (2): 19" monitor, 1366x768
-- 760 (2)
--- Display Port: Not Connected
--- HDMI: Not Connected
--- DVI (1): Not Connected
--- DVI (2): Not Connected
- Win 10 Home, 64 Bit, Build 1809
- PC Name: Host
- P3Dv4.5 Professional Plus 4.5.12.30293

PC 2:
- i7-4790K, 16 GB RAM
- 1 x RTX 2080
-- Driver: 430.86
-- Display Port (1): 23.5" monitor, 1920x1080
-- Display Port (2): 23.5" monitor, 1920x1080
-- Display Port (3): 23.5" monitor, 1920x1080
-- HDMI: Not Connected
- Win 10 Home, 64 Bit, Build 1809
- PC Name: Client2
- P3Dv4.5 Professional Plus 4.5.12.30293
------------------------------------------------------------------
Displays.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <SimBase.Document Type="ConfigurationFile" version="4,5">
<Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>
- <SimDisplay.ConfigurationSet>
- <Configuration>
- <Display>
<Name>Master Monitor</Name>
<DisplayID>1</DisplayID>
<AdapterIndex>1</AdapterIndex>
</Display>
- <Display>
<Name>Client 1.1</Name>
<DisplayID>2</DisplayID>
<AdapterIndex>1</AdapterIndex>
<MachineID>2</MachineID>
</Display>
- <Display>
<Name>Client 1.2</Name>
<DisplayID>3</DisplayID>
<AdapterIndex>2</AdapterIndex>
<MachineID>2</MachineID>
</Display>
- <Display>
<Name>Client 1.3</Name>
<DisplayID>4</DisplayID>
<AdapterIndex>3</AdapterIndex>
<MachineID>2</MachineID>
</Display>
</Configuration>
</SimDisplay.ConfigurationSet>
</SimBase.Document>
---------------------------------------------------------------
Multichannel.xml

- <Multichannel.ConfigurationSet>
- <Configuration>
<ConfigurationName>1 Client 3 Monitors</ConfigurationName>
- <Machine>
<MachineName>Host</MachineName>
</Machine>
- <Machine>
<MachineName>Client2</MachineName>
<MachineID>2</MachineID>
</Machine>
</Configuration>
</Multichannel.ConfigurationSet>
</SimBase.Document>

----------------------------------------------------------------
ViewGroups.xml

- <ViewGroups.ViewGroupSet>
- <ViewGroup>
<Name>1 Client 3 Monitors</Name>
<SideAngles>-40.000000,40.000000,10.000000,-10.000000</SideAngles>
- <GridSetup>
<GridSize>3,1</GridSize>
<FirstDisplayID>2</FirstDisplayID>
<EdgeOverlap>-6.000000,-6.000000,0.000000,0.000000</EdgeOverlap>
</GridSetup>
</ViewGroup>
</ViewGroups.ViewGroupSet>
</SimBase.Document>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ncngrr

Re: View Group Management - Mind of its own?

Postby ncngrr » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:10 pm

6/8/19:
Made progress today with the help of a friend with many years of flight sim experience. This morning, I deleted the multichannel.xml, viewgroups.xml, and displays.xml file from the P3D root folder and replaced them with brand new files of a single client PC with only one monitor. I gave it a new configuration name and started P3D. Interestingly, P3D didn't recognize the new viewgroup when I attempted to start it. That led my friend and me to search for other instances of the viewgroups.xml file the P3D could have pulled the old configuration name from. We found them elsewhere on the PC. Some were old versions that I suspect P3D pulled from and caused problems for me. I will post a new question (since this post will not likely be read by many people (except me when I run into these problems again!). We also found some errors in the graphics section of the P3D.cfg file that we deleted from that file so that P3D would create a new (hopefully correct!) version in its place.

Additionally, we determined that there was a good chance that the video card driver I'd recently downloaded/installed was corrupted in some manner, so we deleted the drivers, used Guru3d.com Driver Uninstaller to wipe out all evidence of the potentially bad (and old) drivers, and installed newly downloaded drivers.

After all this, we started P3D and made some progress. Eventually, I got my three center monitors to light up and had the left front, center (mostly), and right front monitors with the proper displays/views. I say "mostly" with regard to the center monitor because, while the center view is on the center monitor, it doesn't show the proper outside-the-window/cockpit view. Instead, it's an inside-the-cockpit view that doesn't blend properly with the left front and right front views. I still need to figure out why that's not correct, but I made progress today, which I'm pleased with.

Return to “Prepar3D Professional Plus Client Application Questions”