Multichannel setup issues

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
sisoffi

Re: Multichannel setup issues

Postby sisoffi » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:28 pm

update Beau.

each client has 2 channels and 2 display one front view and one lateral view. I noted that if I close the lateral view server can serve 30fps stable on the client, if i open the lateral stutter and frame varying from 15 to 30.
Like the fps need to serve in some moments for both displays....

pierrevw

Postby pierrevw » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Hello Simone,

Did you find a way to fix stutters and low fps in multi-channel mode ?

I'm running a multi-channel config with 6 computers: 1 server and 5 clients (each client is driving a HD projector).
All of these 6 computers are high-end machines, with i7 CPUs running at 4.5 GHz. I updated all computers to P3D v4.4 a few days ago, hoping (once again) that a new release would bring solutions... Well...

Anyway, I still have stutters and low fps on heavy sceneries (for example, I get 10-15 fps in KLGA just with native scenery). If we use AI traffic (IVAO), it sometimes looks like a slideshow with 2 or 3 fps !! Wonderful.

The host computer is set to the lowest display parameters, no v-sync, no fps limitation.

Client computers are set with higher P3D parameters (all sliders to high or max) because we expect each of them to achieve 1 single HD image fast and easy (4.5 GHz is a pretty high cpu frequency, isn't it?).

I tested and tried a lot of things: v-sync on/off, limited fps in sync with projectors, FrameSyncRate=30/60/120, etc.

Nothing is better.

Maybe something wrong somewhere? If anyone has ideas, suggestions, tricks, advices... welcome !

Kind regards,

Pierre
Pierre Van Walleghem
Brussels Flight Simulators
"where computers fly"

Godatum

Postby Godatum » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:10 pm

Very interesting reading. What fps are you getting on your server? Do you have a full 1 gbps network?

pierrevw

Postby pierrevw » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:10 am

Hi P3D world,

Now running P3D v4.4 in multichannel: 1 host + 5 clients. Powerful computers i7 7700k overclocked at 4,8 GHz.

I performed more in deep tests and now I get an unexpected conclusion: on my end low fps, long frames and stutterings are not (completely) related to the rendering power of the computers. It's a multi-channel / network issue.

How this conclusion ? I tested all client-computers in stand alone mode, each working with the same rendering parameters and view settings. Well, then I get easily 80-100 fps and smooth views. But as soon as the computers are linked in multi-channel mode, fps drop to 18-24 fps and stuttering is back.

Then I conducted network tests but i didn"t find weaknesses there. Good and strong Gigabyte network.

I tested some different parameters in the network.cfg file (FrameSyncRate=), nothing changes.

Beau or LM support staff, if you read this, can you explain this behaviour and give advice to fix this problem ?

Happy 2019 everyone !
Pierre Van Walleghem
"where computers fly"

pierrevw

Postby pierrevw » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:22 pm

Guys,

I drop the multichannel, I give up this endless fight! I spent days and weeks trying to make it work fast and smooth: to no avail.
My solution ? WideView. Instead of hanging out at 20/22 fps -when all is well-, I'm over 100 fps with all the sliders to the max. I knew my computers with their i7 7700K were able to perform a high level of display, but it's even better than my highest hopes!

Could someone at LM tell me how to configure a multichannel in an efficient way, maybe I'll change my mind, but all tests converge to show a significant weakness in the system architecture.

Hope my experience will help some of you, desperately seeking for fps !

Pierre
Pierre Van Walleghem
"where computers fly"

Godatum

Postby Godatum » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:55 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have heard mixed things about Wideview. Do you sync external weather and AI? Do you have to install scenery on all client PCs?

pierrevw

Postby pierrevw » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Weather is ok 90% of times. It sometimes happen that clouds are not depicted the same on some computers, but it's not a big issue to me because I'm happier with a smooth image at high frame rate, so it's a small price to pay. If this problem occurs and is problematic (for example you set a CAT III but the front window shows the runway - which I never had, it's just a worse case anticipation), you can still trigger a manual update of the weather from the WideView server.

About sceneries it's the same with multichannel:you have to install them on all computers. No change.

AI seems ok, but I didn't test it a lot yet.

Another advantage is that the reloading of an aircraft position is 5 to 10 times faster ! With the multichannel config repositioning the aircraft at 10 miles final (for example) took 45 to 60 seconds. Now it's 5 to 10.
Pierre Van Walleghem
"where computers fly"

Return to “Prepar3D Professional Plus Client Application Questions”