How to backup P3D for use on new computer?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
ReinBijlsma

Postby ReinBijlsma » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:56 am

I intend to do a fresh Windows 8.1 install after experiencing some problems within Win 8.1.

I spend hours installing P3D and a lot of addons, including almost all the World of AI airplanes, and I don't want to go over the whole process again. Especially the installation of the AI-planes with custom sounds and lights was very time-consuming. Re-installing the scenery won't be the biggest issue, but the AI is.

What should I backup to spend the least possible time at re-installing P3D?

minime

Postby minime » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:06 am

The whole folder has to be copied over. And then the config folders as well, at least the config files, like prepar3d.cfg and scenery.cfg.

Prepar3d stores nothing important outside its own folders (and just one important registry entry), so it is very easy to just copy it over to somewhere else.

On the new computer, just do a full install from the new installer and then copy your old folder into the new one. Make sure it is the same path, otherwise you have to go through all the cfg files and change paths, which will be a nightmare.

ReinBijlsma

Postby ReinBijlsma » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:31 am

Quote:

Quote from minime on October 27, 2014, 10:06

The whole folder has to be copied over. And then the config folders as well, at least the config files, like prepar3d.cfg and scenery.cfg.

Prepar3d stores nothing important outside its own folders (and just one important registry entry), so it is very easy to just copy it over to somewhere else.

On the new computer, just do a full install from the new installer and then copy your old folder into the new one. Make sure it is the same path, otherwise you have to go through all the cfg files and change paths, which will be a nightmare.

But to use the textures replaced by programs like ASN, REX Texture Direct, FS Global etc, I have to install those programs again I suppose?

Snave

Postby Snave » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:40 am

Any that use Registry notation, or make any changes to core files outside the main P3D, yes.

And to add what minime forgot, you MUST Uninstall P3D from your old computer in order to preserve the license. So copy the folder first, then run the uninstaller, then boot the new computer, install P3D, then copy the old folder over the top of the one just created.

No door is closed to an open mind.
Cats open doors...

minime

Postby minime » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:24 pm

Yes, don't forget to uninstall to reclaim the license.

If you have addons that actually are running at the same time as Prepar3d (which implies they are doing stuff while Prepar3d is running) you probably will have to reinstall them.

But addons that physically replaced files in your main Prepar3d folder you do not need to reinstall, unless you want to change the settings. Most addons actually replace files and/or add files inside the Prepar3d folder and then add the path to the scenery.cfg and prepar3d.cfg. So even if you delete the addon installer and executable itself the modifications are still there.

So scenery, for example OrbX, will still work if you just copy the folder. No need to install the OrbX software. Same with many aircraft, unless they have an active component aside of a Prepar3d DLL (maybe some payware aircraft do). Texture replacements will still work, like REX, without the software. Terrain meshes will still work as well.

Just try it. ;)

Snave

Postby Snave » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Actually they won't work properly and will likely cause no end of a mess if they do - aside from replacement files ORBX software also makes changes to core files such as .xml entries for example. Although they will show as all present and correct, in fact you see an irretrievable mess.

I would assume you will have to reinstall EVERYTHING, then try the method outlined above, and just think yourself lucky if anything goes back in without a problem. That way you can be only pleasantly surprised.

Personally I'd advise using the reinstall as an opportunity to rationalise what you actually put back in - those wonderful North American sceneries are great, but not if you haven't flown outside Europe in 6 months. All those extra airfields you've never flown to, or from? Forget 'em. Haven't loaded that whizzbang super-duper aircraft package in an age? Dump it. 'What you've never had, you won't miss', so the expression goes. To which can be added; 'What you haven't missed isn't worth troubling over.'

The final piece of advice is this, and it's hard-earned so do please listen: At all costs resist the temptation to just reload the sim then throw all the addons back in in one go. You will have absolutely no way of being able to tell which one is causing a problem, and fix it.
Cats open doors...

gogol

Postby gogol » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:47 pm

Uninstall to reclaim license ??? Guys, i usually use a computer until it actually dies, then buy a new one. If it dies, how can i uninstall to reclaim the license ?

Snave

Postby Snave » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:06 am

Off topic, but simply you send an email( from a working computer). But then you may have to wait...

From the FAQ

Quote:

Why can I no longer activate after I have reinstalled Prepar3D, updated software, updated hardware, or installed Prepar3D on a new machine? I am getting error 5013 when trying to install. What do I need to do?

Depending on the license you have, it is likely that you have reached the limited number of activations for your specific license. While the licensing software does recognize that the installs are being done on the same computer, if enough of the computer’s information changes (operating system, external hardware, graphics cards, etc.), it will flag your setup as a different computer. If you need an additional activation, because of a hardware change or you are moving the license to a new computer, please e-mail licensing@prepar3d.com with a very brief explanation of the reason you need your license reactivated, along with your license ID and invoice number, and we will be happy to get you squared away in under two business days.

Cats open doors...

Return to “Prepar3D Installation and Installer Questions”