Upgrading scenery component vs. add-on sceneries

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
marcmonteiro

Upgrading scenery component vs. add-on sceneries

Postby marcmonteiro » Sun May 19, 2019 2:03 pm

Hello,

I'd like to know, please, how the scenery component installer acts regarding those custom files add-on sceneries insert into \scenery folder. There are lots of third-part sceneries that overwrite some \scenery\xxx files with custom ones and I'm concerned about updating scenery component.

Do the scenery component update (uninstalling and then reinstalling) only remove/update the original files, skipping all those files inside \scenery folder that have been modified by any third-part developer, or am I supposed to reinstall all add-on sceneries after updating this component to assure all necessary files into \scenery\ folder and subfolders will be installed again, after updating this component.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Marcelo Monteiro

downscc

Re: Upgrading scenery component vs. add-on sceneries

Postby downscc » Sun May 19, 2019 6:58 pm

If the scenery is added in accordance with the SDK, by using add-on.xml files, then they do not have to be reinstalled. If the scenery is added via the legacy method of adding to the scenery.cfg then they will require re installation. In the case of Orbx, which does still use scenery.cfg, you will find it easy to reinstall by simply running their FTX Central.

I have over a 100 addon sceneries, and none of them over write any default scenery file so I cannot speak to those that do, and wonder why would they? There are some tools that update ILS and navaid information which will have to be re-run.
Dan Downs
KCRP

Return to “Prepar3D Installation and Installer Questions”