Moving P3D.

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
maajr57

Moving P3D.

Postby maajr57 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:29 pm

Before I start this project, I want to consult with the experts. I have P3D v4.4 with ORBX scenery and addon planes, etc. I have outgrown my hard drive. I have installed a new bigger hard drive and want to move my installation to that drive. What would be the easiest way to tackle the project and avoid issues. Can I just copy the P3D v4.4 Lockheed Martin Folder to the new drive and then uninstall v4.4 and reinstall the v4.5 Client, Contents and Scenery and expect it to work? Will I be able to uninstall if I move the installation? All advice appreciated. Thank you.

downscc

Re: Moving P3D.

Postby downscc » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:27 pm

You really really should uninstall all and install in new location. You must deactivate your P3D license during the uninstall of it because the license will have to be re-authenticated in the new drive.

One option you might have is to just move Orbx using a symbolic link. The instructions are how to do this is in the Orbx forum. I am using this option that makes it look like the Orbx directory is in the P3D root directory but in fact it is really on a separate larger drive and it saved me about 220 GB on the P3D drive. There is no performance penalty. Of course, all my add-ons (110 GB) are on the second drive as well but all scenery I have come across can be installed anywhere. The only addons I have on the P3D drive are PMDG aircraft and small stuff like FSUIPC.

Another idea is to relocate any and all flight sim related downloads you have, such as product installers, from the default Windows Downloads folders to the second larger storage drive. I've done that and it amounts to 90 GB.
Dan Downs
KCRP

maajr57

Re: Moving P3D.

Postby maajr57 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks Dan!

Return to “Prepar3D Installation and Installer Questions”