OCULUS Quest - 128 GB

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
bigcav

OCULUS Quest - 128 GB

Postby bigcav » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Can the Oculus Quest be used for P3dv4.5?

CplDaniel

Re: OCULUS Quest - 128 GB

Postby CplDaniel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:58 am

How does the quest link with the sim machine?
Maybe I'm wrong, because I usually don't follow Oculus closely because I've long thought its market approach to be focused on short-term, gimmicky, VR hardware [Trigger Warning: My bias Oculus predisposition WILL bleed into the following π]. Isn't that intended to be a portable, stand-alone VR machine? Narrow FoV, relatively low resolution, with onboard processing and storage? I'm no expert, but I wouldn't invest resources to optimize P3D for the OculusQuest. I mean, you are going to be tied to hardware anyway, RIght? [Maybe if you had the LeapMotion interface built-in like on the ~ $5,200--$6k VRgineers XTAL, you could move away from many hardware-based control interfaces. But even then, I'd still keep a real HOTAS/Yoke]

If so, then because you are tied to the hardware interface for controlling the SIM anyway, might as well get a presumably much higher physical bandwidth connection directly to the sim machine & VR kit. I don't think the Oculous Quest was designed for P3D, and I don't think P3D programmers should devote time to optimize around Oculus Quest.

So, TLDR; I doubt it. But, I'd need more information...
Last edited by CplDaniel on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel

CplDaniel

Re: OCULUS Quest - 128 GB

Postby CplDaniel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:09 am

Can the Oculus Quest be used for P3dv4.5?
If you do succeed in getting P3d outputting to Quest (even if not officially supported), I would love to get your experience feedback-review assessing the performance and useful functionality of OculusQuest
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, I may have BIAS, but at least I'm open to review assessment & change!! :)
Daniel

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”