Radeon Pro Gpu?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
cooperwarner8

Radeon Pro Gpu?

Postby cooperwarner8 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi all,

I currently have been running p3d on my iMac with boot camp (windows 10). I’d change to a PC but am unable to so I’ve upgraded my memory and p3d works not bad and now I want the gpu to be upgraded. Anyways I currently have a Raedon Pro 750x 4gb gpu and want to buy an external gpu to run P3D off.
The external gpu will be a raedon pro 580 with 8gb of gddr5 memory. I would like to know if and external gpu would even work with p3d and would I see a performance improvement with this new one

Thanks in advance

JorgenSA

Re: Radeon Pro Gpu?

Postby JorgenSA » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:04 pm

I don't know too much about running P3D on an iMac, but it could seem to me that the weak link here might be the connection to the external GPU.

Now I am assuming this is a Thunderbolt connection - how fast is that? The speed here seems (again, to me) to be the deciding point of whether it is worth investing in this.

Jorgen

cooperwarner8

Postby cooperwarner8 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:07 pm

40gb/s is the speed of the thunderbolt

sma69

Postby sma69 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:23 am

I'm running on an external GPU with far less bandwidth than the actual PCE x16 slot. one major fact is that games at best can saturate 8X 3.0 lanes, with that in mind, I'm running on 1X 2.0 with a 1070ti. the results? for me which I was using the laptop's onboard GT650M, it was a Super upgrade, But TB3 is still a bottle neck, at best mode the TB3 is a 4X 3.0 routed to the Chipset, I found some devices that they specialize the TB3 port directly to the CPU but they are rare, However, considering your Current GPU, if in general, their difference is less than 200% in graphics power, do not bother upgrading via external gpu solution since you are going to be disappointed.

Regards

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”