cpu and gpu usage

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
couger

cpu and gpu usage

Postby couger » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:02 pm

Im having trouble with my cpu and gpu. Im getting low fps parked at gate or around airports mostly on approach but I look at my gpu usage and it is not even 20%. then look at my cpu and that is only at 50% on core 1 only. the other cores are around 5 or 10% why if the sim is struggling to load autogen is the cpu not maxing out. and surely my gpu should be working harder that 20%. I have a 3930K cpu @ 4.5Ghz and the card is a 1080. I cant turn settings down it hardly makes any difference to fps at all. I also use as for p3d4 and when its raining and heavy cloud it can drop as low as 7-8 frames. any help hear would be great.

JorgenSA

Re: cpu and gpu usage

Postby JorgenSA » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:43 pm

I suppose you have run through the Advanced Configuration of P3D, instructions found here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d ... ation.html

Also, your OS and system drivers should be fully updated.

But, if P3D is running smoothly, then why are you worried about the frame rates?

Jorgen

couger

Postby couger » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:55 pm

No I haven’t seen that link before. I’ll check it out. I am running the latest drivers for nvidia. And I’m running windows 8.1 I can’t upgrade for some reason windows 10 upgrade fails all the time so I’m happy with 8.1 for now. But from what I’ve read the cpu should be working a lot harder. I know that p3d is cpu intensive and the glue won’t run hard but at least the cpu should be. And the only time that p3d is running smoothly is when I’m at altitude. When I come in for approach and landing it drops below 20 and I get bad stuttering right up to the gate.

couger

Postby couger » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:53 am

1 more question. Considering I have a 3930k with 6 cores what affinitymask should I have. If any at all. It’s just that the load always seems to be on core 1 and none of the others seem to do much. Does any one have a good affinity that works for them that I could try?

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:14 am

Here's an AffinityMask calculator for you:

http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitym ... m=utilties

Jorgen

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”