Prepar3D v4.4 low FPS unpaused after switching to exterior view.

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Robo_Lepro

Prepar3D v4.4 low FPS unpaused after switching to exterior view.

Postby Robo_Lepro » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:11 pm

I just started having an issue where switching to the outside view in Prepar3D will result in an FPS lower than 5. This FPS carries on through to the inside view. When I pause the simulator, the FPS returns to normal, but unpausing results in the FPS dropping back down to sub-5 FPS. I can resolve the issue by making other menus show up (attempting to close, opening settings, changing time, changing aircraft) after 2-3 tries.

The morning this happened, everything was perfectly fine. This seemed to come out of nowhere. No new add-ons, no changes to scenery or settings, no Windows Updates, no NVIDIA driver updates. I simply shut my computer down and came back to it later in the day to find this issue.

Attached is a video example of the issue: https://youtu.be/GcznSvv3Ndg

I have already tried:
  • Deleting the Prepar3D.cfg file in %appdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 (Allowing P3D to re-generate)
  • Deleting the "Shaders" directory in %localappdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 (Allowing P3D to re-generate)
  • Re-installing NVIDIA drivers
  • Enabling Hyperthreading
  • Running as administrator
  • Disabling add-ons
  • Disabling scenery
  • Using default aircraft
  • Using default scenery
  • Reducing all graphics settings to minimum (Yes. I still get 4 FPS when all graphics settings are as low as they can be, at default airports and using default aircraft...)
  • Rebooting my computer (Multiple times)
My PC specs are:
  • Intel Core i7 8700 @ 3.20GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM
The add-ons loaded (during the recording of the video) are:
  • ChasePlane
  • ENVTEX
  • ENVSHADE
  • ActiveSky for P3Dv4
  • Quality Wings 787 (With update 1.1.3)
  • Orbx FTX Global
  • FlyTampa Amsterdam
I've been running P3D on these settings for around a month now and this is the first time I've experienced an issue like this. Any help would be appreciated.

Melon088

Re: Prepar3D v4.4 low FPS unpaused after switching to exterior view.

Postby Melon088 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:16 am

I've also been experiencing the same problem and haven't found any other information about it. It started for me I think around v4.2 and has remained ever since. This definitely doesn't happen every time I change views but it seems to occur more around airports and situations (e.g. heavy cloud layers, lots of air traffic etc.) that are more heavy on performance. I've also noticed it happens the most with the QW787 (In contrast, I can sometimes do a flight in the PMDG 737 with no problem at all).

As far as I can remember, when I started to get this problem I also started occasionally getting the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error which I still sometimes get to this day. I am unable to say whether these two are related however I find it interesting that both problems arised at the same time. I also think it's worth pointing out that I have a relatively low end system running a GTX 760 which could be the source of the problem but I can't confirm this.

One last observation that I have had recently in v4.5 is that sometimes (haven't flown much in v4.5 yet so I can only say this has happened to me in the QW787) the FPS drops without me changing the view but I've only noticed this at high end airports like EGLL for example and it is much less common than the frames dropping after changing view.

I'm interested to see if anyone has any suggestions as this is quite a frustrating problem that I have to live with and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Martyson

Re: Prepar3D v4.4 low FPS unpaused after switching to exterior view.

Postby Martyson » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:38 am

@Robo_Lepro,
Are you still using P3Dv4.4 or have you now upgraded to 4.5HF1?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Return to “Other Support Questions”