v4.2 Time Zones Update Question

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
FalconAF

v4.2 Time Zones Update Question

Postby FalconAF » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:38 pm

I did a forum search and didn't see an answer for this, so....

1. Will a Client-only update to v4.2 update the Time Zones? Or do I need to do a Scenery.msi update for it? (I'm assuming new Time Zones would be new .bgl files and may be part of a Scenery.msi and not the Client.msi, but not sure).

2. If I already have the FS RealTime addon installed (for P3Dv4) WITH the included World Time Zones for it, do I NEED to update the P3Dv4.2 Time Zones? Are there any differences between the two Time Zone products...the FS RealTime World Timezones (added to the Scenery Library) and the new P3Dv4.2 ones?

3. Do I even need FS RealTime anymore once a P3Dv4 Time Zones update is done? I'm not sure exactly if the V4.2 update will do what FS RealTime does (just the basic keeping of the sim's time accurate when flying across time zones, etc...I don't mess with the "advanced" capabilities of FS RealTime anyhow).

Thanks for clearing up my confusion! I did a Client update (nothing more yet), still have FS RealTime and it's World Timezones installed, and not sure if I would "gain" anything "Time Zone wise" by doing (whatever) will update the core P3Dv4.2 Time Zones.

downscc

Re: v4.2 Time Zones Update Question

Postby downscc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:14 pm

I don't understand the significance of local time zones. All aviation (except passengers) use UTC.
Dan Downs
KCRP

FalconAF

Postby FalconAF » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:26 pm

I don't understand the significance of local time zones. All aviation (except passengers) use UTC.
Where ya been for the past two decades? ;-) Crossing time zones has always caused wrong times, or even wrong DAYS crossing the International Date Line, in FS9, FSX, and even P3D until the most recent v4.2 update (it included "fixed" timezones that you could only get using something like FS RealTime with a separate World Timezones "fix"). If you didn't use them along with something like FS RealTime, the UTC would update in the sim...not the GMT. You could be flying east at dusk, cross a time zone, and the sim would jump you back to "day" time again. Or do the reverse flying westerly.

I'm surprised you didn't know about this with your years of sim flying. You can do a Google search and find pages of posts about it in almost every sim forum there is.

I just wanted to know if a Client update alone provided the new time zones in P3D now. Or if it was part of a Scenery or Content .msi instead. That would determine whether I would now remove the FS RealTime World Timezones file from my P3D.

Edit: Here's a post in this forum about it: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126098
Last edited by FalconAF on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FalconAF

Postby FalconAF » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Add to the above: The v4.2 update also provided the "fix" that is supposed to correct the UTC updating fiasco. So essentially I should be able to uninstall the entire FS RealTime payware addon AND it's included World Timezones. But I only did a Client update, so I don't know if I got BOTH "fixes" (or even EITHER fix) with just a Client update. I don't want to do a Scenery or Content update if I don't have to. But if I got a "fix", I don't want to keep using the FS RealTime stuff either if I don't have to.

Mike Schroeter
Lockheed Martin

Postby Mike Schroeter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 pm

You should install both. The core fix contains a fix for the default time zones across the globe - basically every 15 degrees of longitude. The .bgl includes data overrides for the most common areas (e.g. North America, Europe, etc..) where actual time zones do not align perfectly with the default 15 degree zones.

Hope this helps,
Mike

FalconAF

Postby FalconAF » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:33 am

Thanks, Mike. That's what I needed to know.

Return to “Other Support Questions”