Clueless in PA!

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Plainsman

Clueless in PA!

Postby Plainsman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:48 am

I can't for the life of me detect differences in appearance based on graphic settings, specifically three settings:

1. Level of Detail Radius
2. Mesh resolution
3. Texture resolution

The following questions are directly primarily at visual appearance not frame rate:
1. What is supposed to change visually if you move this setting further to the right. Curently, my setting is "High."
2. I don't see a difference between 19m and 1m. What am I supposed to see that is different?
3. I don't see a difference between 1m and 7cm. What should I see that is different between the two? Which is supposed to be better, i.e. look more realistic?

I should add I'm playing with a 4K monitor and running at 4K resolution.

I should disclose that I only fly Prepared between 500 and 2000 feet, generally. I don't notice any differences in appearance and it is driving me crazy. Please tell me what is supposed to change when I move these three settings. Thanks.

Plainsman

Re: Clueless in PA!

Postby Plainsman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:48 am

Someone must know the difference between 19m and 1m for mesh resolution and between 1m and 7cm for texture resolution? When you fly low and slow like I do, what are the best settings? Maybe I should ask the question this way: Which settings for these three things (the other is level of detail radius) have the best framerates vs. graphical clarity?

aeronauta

Postby aeronauta » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:48 am

Plainman , you wont see any more or less than what the developer has made the add on at , mesh and texture are set by the image the developer used so you cannot go higher than that. ORBX says use 10m , reson is they used 10m res in their scenery. I leave everything at max , no problem./

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR - Nemetz Designs Beta Tester

Plainsman

Postby Plainsman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. I don't understand how the different settings don't matter. If we can change from 19m to 1m, or vice versa, there is a reason for that, no?

MikeB54

Postby MikeB54 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:27 pm

No matter how far you have your slider to the right, you can only display as much detail as what is in the original source file. You can't display what isn't there.

However, you can do the reverse. You might have some 30cm/pixel scenery installed but if your system doesn't have the horsepower to display it then you can move the slider to the left and only display it at 1 meter/pixel, for example. Same thing with mesh. If your system can't handle 10 m mesh then you can back it off to 19 m.

I hope that makes sense.

Mike

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”