Hf1 - Still too many radio towers

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
nathantw

Hf1 - Still too many radio towers

Postby nathantw » Sat May 02, 2020 7:56 pm

HF1 still has too many radio towers. Some are hundreds and hundreds of feet high. Strange that.

That is all.

JRBarrett

Re: Hf1 - Still too many radio towers

Postby JRBarrett » Sat May 02, 2020 8:42 pm

Where specifically are you seeing these towers? There are many places in the United States (especially in the flat midwestern states) that do indeed have TV broadcast towers that are well over 1000 feet high. The tower for KVLY TV in North Dakota is over 2000 feet high.

There are some definite errors in the sim environment with antennas. One that was pointed out in the initial release is a row of antennas on the left side of runway 25 at KLEB that definitely don’t exist in real life. I don’t know if that was fixed in HF1. Another error I have seen is antennas that appear the correct height when viewed from low altitude, “grow” out of the ground when viewed from high altitude. I haven’t checked that in HF1 yet.

But, there are a lot of antennas in the sim that are legitimate. Most are imported from a recent digital edition of the FAA hazards database (at least in the US). When flying low altitude VFR flights in P3D, I track my progress by connecting the sim to the iPad app “ForeFlight”, which has the ability to overlay the aircraft’s current position on the FAA VFR sectional for the location. Sectional charts show all antennas higher than 180 feet, and most of the antennas I see in the sim exactly correspond to the ones on the sectionals, correctly placed, and of correct height.

Someone in another thread mentioned they saw “too many” antennas in the vicinity of Knoxville, TN - but the FAA sectional chart does show over 90 different antennas within a 25 mile radius of the airport, two of which are TV towers over 1200 feet tall.
Jim Barrett

Richard Plantagenet

Postby Richard Plantagenet » Sat May 02, 2020 8:51 pm

What I'm seeing isn't antennae. The are by the dozens and move with my flightpath. These "lines" appear around airports and I'm assuming nav beacons.

I'm going to let the gang sort out the bigger problems 1st. Deleting hazards.bgl is a quick and dirty fix.

Glenn

nathantw

Postby nathantw » Sat May 02, 2020 10:17 pm

Thanks about deleting the hazards.blg file. I was flying around San Francisco and SFO at dawn and was able to see the towers. Some were really tall. I noticed, however, after HF1 that the towers surrounding Palo Alto's airport were gone, so many of them were eliminated.

JRBarrett

Postby JRBarrett » Sun May 03, 2020 1:14 am

I think I’ve seen what you’re talking about. Noticed it yesterday around the perimeter of an airport I was flying toward. Very thin white lines that almost look like strobing laser beams?
Jim Barrett

nathantw

Postby nathantw » Sun May 03, 2020 5:41 pm

Yes! That's what I've seen.

Richard Plantagenet

Postby Richard Plantagenet » Sun May 03, 2020 6:00 pm

Then I'm not insane...

Found more at KSHR.

Are you using VR?

I think it's VR related as I didn't see any issue in pancake mode.

Please go to KSHR around 0530 with "fair weather" and do a loop or two around the town/airport and let me know if you're seeing them there too.

I'm afraid to go to Devil's Tower or Area 51...

Glenn

nathantw

Postby nathantw » Sun May 03, 2020 6:50 pm

I just went around KSHR without VR and I think I found the antenna farm you mentioned. They appeared that the farmer growing them is doing a good job. LOL

I tried it with ORBX.

Richard Plantagenet

Postby Richard Plantagenet » Sun May 03, 2020 10:11 pm

Is there any way to let Max or Beau know about this?

Richard Plantagenet

Postby Richard Plantagenet » Tue May 05, 2020 1:53 pm

I sent Max a DM this morning regarding the "frickin' lasers".

corbu1

Postby corbu1 » Tue May 05, 2020 4:31 pm

Hello,
I‘m exclusivly in VR and I see them very often.
Flying most of the time in Ketchikan, Alaska area.
Orbx PFJ and PAKT payware is installed.

Max Perry
Lockheed Martin

Postby Max Perry » Tue May 05, 2020 5:12 pm

This thread needs more pictures with the lat/lon so I can investigate. I want pictures of the lazer beams. I think i know what you are talking about.

Sounds like a couple issues i'd like to narrow down.

I made some changes to antennae placement but not all of it made it into the hotfix. There were some duplicate antennae. And there are 2 types of hazards that are new, poles and electrical 'tv' towers.

One thing to note is that ll 'antennae' that are the radio antennae type have always been (since FSX) 2000 feet tall and the engine adjusts it's height to be what the FAA data says the radio tower should be. So on different systems the visibilty of the tower at a distance sometimes appears in front of the ground.

Richard Plantagenet

Postby Richard Plantagenet » Tue May 05, 2020 8:49 pm

Thanks for the reply, Max.

Here is a screenie from KSHR approx. N44 46.85 W106 53.14 . Note top right corner.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/68DxcZFU6mVVdYaR6

The reason I use approx (and such a lousy screenshot) is that the issue seems to be gone since I started using stereo rather than single-pass in VR.

Hope that this will help.

GlennImage

daytona125

Postby daytona125 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:48 pm

Willow Run Airport just west of Detroit Metro Airport.

JRBarrett

Postby JRBarrett » Wed May 06, 2020 11:45 am

This thread needs more pictures with the lat/lon so I can investigate. I want pictures of the lazer beams. I think i know what you are talking about.

Sounds like a couple issues i'd like to narrow down.

I made some changes to antennae placement but not all of it made it into the hotfix. There were some duplicate antennae. And there are 2 types of hazards that are new, poles and electrical 'tv' towers.

One thing to note is that ll 'antennae' that are the radio antennae type have always been (since FSX) 2000 feet tall and the engine adjusts it's height to be what the FAA data says the radio tower should be. So on different systems the visibilty of the tower at a distance sometimes appears in front of the ground.
One place I saw the “laser beam” effect was descending towards N38, (Wellsboro-Johnston airport) in northern Pennsylvania. I was in the Commander 114, descending from the northeast at about 6000 feet MSL. I noted the “lasers” appeared to be shooting up from around the perimeter of the airport, co-incident with where the airport scenery transitions from the grass field of the airport proper to the surrounding tree line.

The effect does, at first appear to look like very thin antennas or vertical poles with bright white segments that continually move upwards from the base to the top, but I don’t think it actually comes from misplaced hazards. In the case of the airport listed above, once I descended lower, and got closer to the airport, the affect disappeared. It seems to occur where there is an “edge” in a texture (grass meeting a tree line).

I have seen the same effect within the virtual cockpit of the FlySimWare Falcon 50, along the vertical joint between the copilot’s instrument panel and the center instrument panel. There may be a very slight gap between the textures of the two instrument panels.
Jim Barrett

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”