Valve Index - anyone have any tips for performance?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Gtm

Valve Index - anyone have any tips for performance?

Postby Gtm » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:20 pm

I've upgraded from a CV1 to a Valve Index and seem to be having mixed results in terms of performance :/

The headset itself is fantastic, in anything else the clarity if really good and the options for performance tuning are great (80/90/120/144 hz and Resolution both higher and lower) - I've found great settings for everything I have run......except Prepar3d :(

Here is my spec:

i7 7700k @ 4.8Ghz
RTX 2080
16Gb DDR4 3200

Initially on Thurs/Fri I seemed to find settings that worked which were 80Hz and 140% resolution from SteamVR and adjusting no settings within Prepar3d, running same settings as I used to run under CV1. It seemed capable and while I wouldn't have called it the best performance, it was acceptable and did not have any stutters over dense or busy airports.

However, after having to update video driver and several firmware and SteamVR updates, performance has gone completely now and no matter how low I set anything I find it completely unplayable :( Stutters, drop out completely from the sim (apparently this occurs when performance is too low to render anything), occuring at any point and no clearly obvious point in using the Sim.

I am running on v4.4 and did try updating to v4.5 but this seemed even worse so I've gone back to v4.4 as this always seemed better for VR performance overall.

I also run several UK OrbX packs and their global pack, uninstalling these didn't help though and performance just seems below what is needed even to acheive 40 fps@80hz :(

Has anyone else even tried an Index in Prepar3d? Is there anything else I can check/change/try to see how to improve performance? I do still feel it will be SteamVR and headset updates that might resolve this issue but I'm just desperate to get what I had back on Thurs/Fri as the clarity is superb and reading everything in any plane was sheer pleasure :/

Any other thoughts?

Graham

Thacyoon

Re: Valve Index - anyone have any tips for performance?

Postby Thacyoon » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:06 am

Hi,

I have a Pimax 5K+ and use it a lot with P3D (on small or normal FOV - 120-150 FOV). I have a lot of VR experience with P3D from v4.3 to v4.5. I have my Pimax 5K+ set at 72Hz and "Smart smoothing" enable in the PiTool. "Smart smoothing" on the Pimax is the same as Steam VR "Motion smoothing"...or something.

This means P3D fps is running between 36 and 72 FPS (and that is really high fps for P3D), and the framerate is automatically locked (by smart smoothing) to 36 FPS, and SM calculate the missing frames and we see 72fps in the HMD. But only the headmovement gives 72fps, the P3D world is still 36 fps.

Even if the fps drops below 36fps it is still "aceptable" down to low 20 fps (bareley). If you set the index to 80Hz (recommended for flight sims) you should target at least 40 fps, and that is not an easy task in P3D.

The settings that impact performance the most for me (i9-9900k and RTX 2080Ti) are (in this order):

[*] The amout of SS (Super sampling) set in Steam VR - Try lowering the SS
[*] Autogen draw distance (max Medium) - Try Low (very CPU bound)
[*] Autogen building density (max Normal) - Try Low (very CPU bound)
[*] The amout of AI traffic (boats, cars, planes, airport vehicle) in P3D (does not impact my i9-9900k to much actually). - Try OFF (very CPU bound)
[*] The AA setting in P3D (max 2xMSAA) Very GPU dependent
[*] Level of detail radius (max High) - Try LOW (very CPU bound)
[*] Tesselation Factor (max High) - Try Medium (slightly CPU bound)
[*] Autogen vegetaion density (max Dense) - Try Normal (slightly CPU bound)
[*] Water detail (max Medium) - Try Low (The RTX seems to render this very good)
[*] Reflection (only Clouds) - Try OFF (The RTX seems to render this very good)
[*] Dynamic lighting OFF - Try ON (The RTX seems to render this very good)
[*] Shadows OFF (you can try with terrain and clouds - but this is heavy on the GPU, but the RTX seems to render this very good.

I can barely get 30-37 fps, and in dense areas the fps can drops to 20-25. You need to play with these settings to reach a compromize between performance and graphics. Oh, I have add-ons: OrbX (global, vector and regions), TomatoShade, Ultimate Traffic Live.

Remeber this is just MY experience with P3D and MY hardware running Pimax 5k+ (small/normal and PiTool SS at 1, and Steam VR SS at 120)

Thacyoon

Postby Thacyoon » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:21 am

One more thing. Do NOT activate the MFD's on the F-16. That will destroy your FPS - regardless of using VR or not.

guit32

Postby guit32 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:39 pm

And don't forget to activate the single pass feature in the p3d vr menu: you will have a boost of 10 fps ! You can use it only with a nvidia card. I have with my system approximatively 30 fps in VR (I have a i9 9900 K and a GTX 1080) with the same setting, don't expect much. Activate the motion smoothing ! it is great with some bubble effect !
I play with the 737 NGX, active sky, orbx.
Be careful with the clouds texture in active sky ans ASCA § I only use 250 to 512 k texture for cumulonimbus, it is enough. Cloud distance of 80 is enough also !

Thacyoon

Postby Thacyoon » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Yes guit32. I forgot to mention the "single pass rendering" in P3D Vr settings... good point.

Gtm

Postby Gtm » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 pm

Thanks all for the info, it is useful to know what impacts performance the most. However, I've even tried lowering everything and removing OrbX packs and it still seems to stutter/fade (fade seems to be when performance is so low it can't render at all) more than it should at this setting. Just to add, running the Index in anything else is perfectly fine and I can achieve great performance in other games/sims, most achieving the 120/144hz setting without issue so I know it is not directly related to my PC.

I feel that the SteamVR rendering performance in Prepar3d is quite poor in comparison to Oculus rendering, which is the headset i used to run before (CV1).

I'm hoping that either Prepar3d or SteamVR performance improves in the future as right now it just isn't useable at all and even at low settings with the Index clarity it looks awful :(

For now, as a sort of workaround, I've got a Rift S(CV1 was going faulty) to be able to keep running my sim at a much more acceptable detail level and addons (OrbX, Ultimate Traffic Live, Rex 5 Airport Pack). The clarity in the S is actually a nice upgrade from the CV1 and while it isn't Index clarity, the rendering performance of Oculus is far greater (at least on my PC) than SteamVR :)

Lakim395

Postby Lakim395 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:06 pm

Valve Index help
by Lakim395 » Tue, 27 Aug 2019, 16:5

Hi I don’t know if anyone can help with reference to this issue probably directed at GTM
I have valve index upon starting prepar3dv4.5 I select vr - steam vr
Put headset on and I see 2 cockpit in display slightly overlapping each other
I have vr settings mono ipd 64 zoom disabled checked settings in virtual reality cfg and xml
All are correct, my friend has same issue didn’t have any issue with oculus cv1
Pc intel i7 7700k 4.8 ghx
Nvidia 1080ti
32 gig ram
2x 1tb ssd m2
ASUs rog mboard
Use orbx scenery
Pmdg737ngx

I would be grateful for any help please
Regards

Garry

Daube

Postby Daube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:35 am

One more thing. Do NOT activate the MFD's on the F-16. That will destroy your FPS - regardless of using VR or not.
Is the F-16 usable at all in VR ?
Last time I tried it, the cockpit was out of scale, way too small, like a plane for kids. Did they fix that ?

Daube

Postby Daube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:42 am

Valve Index help
by Lakim395 » Tue, 27 Aug 2019, 16:5

Hi I don’t know if anyone can help with reference to this issue probably directed at GTM
I have valve index upon starting prepar3dv4.5 I select vr - steam vr
Put headset on and I see 2 cockpit in display slightly overlapping each other
I have vr settings mono ipd 64 zoom disabled checked settings in virtual reality cfg and xml
All are correct, my friend has same issue didn’t have any issue with oculus cv1
Pc intel i7 7700k 4.8 ghx
Nvidia 1080ti
32 gig ram
2x 1tb ssd m2
ASUs rog mboard
Use orbx scenery
Pmdg737ngx

I would be grateful for any help please
Regards

Garry
Just out of curiosity, why did you set your VR mode to "mono" ? It should be "stereo" if you want to get a 3D effect.
In "mono", both pictures will be the same, then your VR helmet will be nothing more than an improved Track-IR.
In "stereo", each eye gets a different picture (with a slightly different angle of view, which helps your brain getting the sense of depth.
The other setting is the rendering mode (not sure of the correct name anymore), it should be set to "single pass".

Daube

Postby Daube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:00 am

The settings that impact performance the most for me (i9-9900k and RTX 2080Ti) are (in this order):

[*] The amout of SS (Super sampling) set in Steam VR - Try lowering the SS
[*] Autogen draw distance (max Medium) - Try Low (very CPU bound)
[*] Autogen building density (max Normal) - Try Low (very CPU bound)
[*] The amout of AI traffic (boats, cars, planes, airport vehicle) in P3D (does not impact my i9-9900k to much actually). - Try OFF (very CPU bound)
[*] The AA setting in P3D (max 2xMSAA) Very GPU dependent
[*] Level of detail radius (max High) - Try LOW (very CPU bound)
[*] Tesselation Factor (max High) - Try Medium (slightly CPU bound)
[*] Autogen vegetaion density (max Dense) - Try Normal (slightly CPU bound)
[*] Water detail (max Medium) - Try Low (The RTX seems to render this very good)
[*] Reflection (only Clouds) - Try OFF (The RTX seems to render this very good)
[*] Dynamic lighting OFF - Try ON (The RTX seems to render this very good)
[*] Shadows OFF (you can try with terrain and clouds - but this is heavy on the GPU, but the RTX seems to render this very good.
I don't know much about the Pimax, and I'm surprised you had to lower your settings that much to get some acceptable performance :/

My VR helmet has a much lower resolution than yours, of course. It's a Lenovo Explorer. The resolution per eye is just 1400x1400. I configured it to run at 90Hz.
My CPU is a i7 8700k, coupled with a GTX 1070-ti, on Windows 10.

I'm getting some pretty decent performance in P3D 4.4 as long as I stay away from any big city/airport. "Scenery" buildings are the main FPS killers. They have always been, in FS9, in FSX, and now in P3D. They kill the FPS way more than any settings of the autogen.

In my sim I have lowered a few settings, because the low resolution of the helmet makes some settings useless. For example, the autogen draw distance can be reduced drastically, because the low res will prevent me to see any distant details anyways. However, I keep the density sliders to the max, because I fly at low altitude, and I want the surrounding scenery to look good.

Just like you I have disabled a lot of shadows, but not all.
I removed the reflections on the water as well.
I decreased the LOD radius. No need for crisp distant textures with that low resolution :)
The advice above to limit the cumulus texture resolution to 512x512 is excellent too. The performance in heavy weather is greatly impacted by this.
It is also a good idea to be very cautious with the AA settings, both in-game and in SteamVR (or Pimax equivalent?). Especially with your higher resolution displays, the AA will be even more heavy on the FPS than on my smaller VR screens.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”