Runway lights still popping in v4.5

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
high-5

Runway lights still popping in v4.5

Postby high-5 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:53 pm

So once again I thought maybe this could be the time that the old runway light bug from the FSX era was finally going to be fixed. With the night lighing improvements and all, this must really be the time, finally.

But no... clean install of v4.5, load a night flight, and you can clearly see that the runway lights at the end of the runway are completely missing, and show up only just as you close in on them. Pop, pop, pop, two by two they turn on when close to the A/C. Checked out a few v4.5 videos on youtube and yes, they all show the bug.

I'm not going to describe the issue in more detail again, it has been done by me and others for years now, e.g.
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 35#p190735

The response has always been the same - complete silence.
It's so sad that such an obvious bug that is a real immersion killer with a likely trivial fix continues to be ignored.

If you don't know what I' talking about, here is an image from v4.4 (it looks identical in v4.5).
https://imgur.com/a/uqbftmD

The image is not even mine, it's taken from another person's video (see previous threads on the subject). He thought that nothing was wrong with the runway lights. Do you agree? I know I don't.

Martyson

Re: Runway lights still popping in v4.5

Postby Martyson » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:31 pm

@high-5
"So once again I thought maybe this could be the time that the old runway light bug from the FSX era was finally going to be fixed. With the night lighing improvements and all, this must really be the time, finally."

I did a night approach KDTW 04R P3Dv4.5
Tiny bit of runway edge lighting shift during the approach.
During an approach I am not focused on the far end runway edge lighting.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:44 pm

I got your linked image
https://imgur.com/a/uqbftmD

to display as a photo in the forum for a easier compare.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

high-5

Postby high-5 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:56 am

I did a night approach KDTW 04R P3Dv4.5
Tiny bit of runway edge lighting shift during the approach.
During an approach I am not focused on the far end runway edge lighting.
The issue is far more prominent when approaching a bit high, so depending on the type of approach and what a/c you use I realize that some people haven't even noticed the issue, or at least not enough to care. For others, the runway light popping looks really terrible, all the time, every single night flight. This is especially when approaching or taking of from an airport with multiple runways, you can literally see the light shifting happening right next to you or right in front of you, especially for the parallell and crossing runways. At least all pilots looking out the window instead of staring at the instruments would see it.

I realize that at some point in history (FSX or even earlier) there was some kind of performance reason for not showing all runway lights at all times. It's not like it has any performance impact at all these days, I mean we're talking a handful of additional very simple objects/textures among many thousands.

Also, the decision logic to show or hide the lights is severely broken. Since you can make runway lights turn on/off in a paused sim just by zooming in/out and looking up/down/left/right a bit, it's obviously not just the distance to your a/c that matters, but rather some really weird view distance/angle thing. IF someone for some strange reason would argue that there is a performance reason for showing like 230 runway lights instead of 250, I would at least appreciate if it was the runway lights most far away from you that were hidden. As can be clearly seen on the image above, this is not the case.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”