Angle of bank of AI aircrafts

SkySoft

Postby SkySoft » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:27 am

Hi everybody,

I'm facing a problem in the development of a client application controlling AI aircrafts. The purpose of the piece of software is to interact dynamically with aircrafts performing landing and take off patterns (C#).

Creation of the A/C is OK.

Sending of SIMCONNECT_DATA_WAYPOINTs is OK. The issue comes when the A/C must take a turn to the next waypoint. I've the feeling that the aircrafts are limited in the angle of bank (something like 20° AoB). It implies that the patterns are not flown smoothly.

My question is: is there a possibility to modify programmatically the angle of bank of the AI aircrafts? If yes, is it a setting in the cfg files or is it feasible in the SimConnect SDK?

Thx,

Bruno

SkySoft

Postby SkySoft » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:33 am

Hi folks,

Still no reply, but we haven't found yet the way to overright it.

We monitored the Aircraft parameters via the traffic toolbox, and it appears that the Angle of Bank is always limited to 25°, whatever the next point is.

So when trying to let an aircraft fly tactical patterns with military aircraft, by providing the aircraft with a list of aerodrome pattern points, the aircraft is never able to reach the point we assign them. Because the aircraft should turn with an AOB of 65 or 75°, surely at high speed, such as 300kts.

Does anybody has any clues on how we can force the Angle of banks of such AI aircraft?

Many thanks,

Thomas

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:50 am

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The aircraft IA is a holdover from FSX and was designed primarily to populate the world with civilian air traffic. To my knowledge, we haven't made any major changes to the aircraft AI system. You're best bet would be to search the web work any FSX users that hit this issue. I did a quick search, and it looks like max autopilot bank angle is defined in the aircraft.cfg. Perhaps you just need to tweak the config a bit.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

SkySoft

Postby SkySoft » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:26 am

Hi Beau,

I've been looking for the solution since few weeks, and still got nothing.

But from what I've understood the .cfg is primarly used by P3D for all user flygin (including AutoPilot) but has nothing to do with Aerodynamics and how the aircraft is flying.

Seems as well that the .air file governs all aerodynamics, but also how the aircraft are reacting under AI control.

I'm stuck, because I can't find what is the element used by P3D within the .air file that manages the angle of bank when the aircraft are AI controller.

Do you have a defined list of items and their corresponding uses whitin the .air file?

Thanks,

Thomas

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:50 am

There are three parameters that may be adjusted to control banking via the autopilot (which all AI use by default):

• max_bank= (degrees)

• max_bank_acceleration= (degrees per second)

• max_bank_velocity= (degrees per second)

Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

SkySoft

Postby SkySoft » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:57 am

HI,

I've already tried, even with all these parameters all aircraft are stuck at 25° of "desired bank".

We want to keep AI controlling the aircraft, but we need to by pass this 25° of limit, I don't know from which source P3D takes this 25°...

Any other idea?

Thx,

Thomas

beatle

Postby beatle » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Hey Guys,

The limitation is in the "AI Pilots" themselves, they are currently designed for commercial airliners and GA aircraft (there are also "pilots" for ground vehicles, boats, etc) and have specific limiations on things like max pitch/bank/airspeed/turn rate/etc. The "AI Pilots" don't really use the autopilot directly, as they need to be able to fly aircraft that don't have autopilots defined, although they likely reuse some of the same code (PID Controllers, etc).

We know we need to create some higher fidelity/more programmable "AI Pilots" and its on the list (we ourselves are eventually going to need "AI Pilots" that can fly fighter jets for instance) - no idea of a release timeframe at this time though.

Tim

Return to “SimConnect Interface Questions”