[RESOLVED] Prepar3D.exe - Application error

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
mrwetwork

[RESOLVED] Prepar3D.exe - Application error

Postby mrwetwork » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:32 pm

i had to re install P3D cause of a fresh windows install.. now i get this error on the launch of the program.. Im on Windows 10 BTW..

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.. ANYONE have any ideas???

Saul

Re: Prepar3D.exe - Application error

Postby Saul » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:13 pm

How to fix 'The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)' error message

The first thing to try is a simple reboot of your system.

In most cases it's Microsoft .NET framework causing the issues. This can easily fixed by re-installing latest .NET framework.

Try running the game or application as an admin. Right click on it, select Properties and open the Compatibility tab. Tick the 'Run this program as an administrator' box, and click on OK.

You can also try re-installing the game or program you're trying to run - simple but sometimes very effective.

Update Windows.

Run chkdsk by opening cmd (search for it or select run in the start menu). In the window type "chkdsk c: /f /r". If it is the primary windows disk, it will ask you to schedule it for next boot. When you restart, it will do a check before get to the login screen. Partitions or other drives can also be checked this way.

Re-install DirectX.

boleyd

Postby boleyd » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:05 am

Thanks Saul. I had totally forgotten about CHKDSK. Haven't used it for a few years so some of the obvious things fade. Running now but wanted to say thanks even though it may not be the solution.

Assuming it is a Frame 4.6 problem I have looked at many descriptions on the Web about restoring/reinstalling Framework but each was for non-Windows 10. Since this item is critical to other programs I am not confident in an uninstall/reinstall. The fixit tool does not work on W10. Other diagnostic/repair programs from Microsoft do not change the P3DV3.0 startup issue.
Regards,

Mike LM

Postby Mike LM » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:27 pm

Do you have the installation files? Does the checksum match the ones given on the downloads page? Have you tried reinstalling Prepar3D?
Prepar3D® Software Engineer

boleyd

Postby boleyd » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:34 pm

I have downloaded a few times and reinstalled many times. CHKDSK did not help. Tried install on a different disk, same error. Tried changing the launcher's config to Framework 4.6 versus 4.0 but no change. Changed the name of Prepar3D.exe.config to prevent its use but same issue. If that file is used for the FIRST time Framework is accessed then Framework is probably not an issue. I have checked the Security settings and made sure that the launcher has full allowances.

I want to reinstall Framework but I do not see a simple, safe, way to do it. The procedures I see are not for Windows 10. Since Microsoft moves Framework stuff to the oS each major update I am fearful about following instructions that may multiply my problems.

slayer616

Postby slayer616 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:42 am

boleyd wrote:I have downloaded a few times and reinstalled many times. CHKDSK did not help. Tried install on a different disk, same error. Tried changing the launcher's config to Framework 4.6 versus 4.0 but no change. Changed the name of Prepar3D.exe.config to prevent its use but same issue. If that file is used for the FIRST time Framework is accessed then Framework is probably not an issue. I have checked the Security settings and made sure that the launcher has full allowances.

I want to reinstall Framework but I do not see a simple, safe, way to do it. The procedures I see are not for Windows 10. Since Microsoft moves Framework stuff to the oS each major update I am fearful about following instructions that may multiply my problems.

Do not try to run those redistributables on Windows 10. You will mess up your OS.

With windows 10 they are built into the OS. You need to uninstall and reinstall via control panel/ add-remove programs. Click on add/remove windows features and they are the first thing in the list.

verjic

Postby verjic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:43 am

Hello,

I had the same problem and found the solution on this forum, on another topic.

The proble is in D3DCompiler_43.dll from System32 and SysWow64 . There are 2 types of this compiler. One is smaller and one is bigger ( 2.106.216 bytes and 2.526.056 bytes ). I had on my computer bigger version and Prepar did not work with it and gived me an error 0xc000007b. On the net mostly you will find bigger version, but also smaller. Download smaller and copy it in C:\windows\system32 and C:\windows\SySWoW64 . Don't forget to back up the original files in case the solution don't work for you. Let me know if it worked for you. I'm also on Windows 10.

boleyd

Postby boleyd » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:30 pm

The smaller version may be 32bit. I tried both in System32 and WOW64 but did not fix.
I am backing up my data and preparing to reinstall Windows 10.

boleyd

Postby boleyd » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:05 pm

Resolved
Reloaded Windows 10. Reinstalled P3Dv2.5 ok. The installed P3D v3.0 ok.
Do not know the root cause.
Thanks to all who helped.

Return to “Prepar3D Installation and Installer Questions”