3D Cirrus Clouds

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
Randy87

3D Cirrus Clouds

Postby Randy87 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:53 am

This may seem a minor cosmetic thing, but it would be a really nice addition.

I understand that metar's don't report cirrus clouds but it seems like a pretty easy thing to do if cirrus clouds are generated, then why can't they be generated in 3D? At least a 100 ft or so high. (No idea how tall cirrus formations can get.)

Thoughts?

Randy87

Re: 3D Cirrus Clouds

Postby Randy87 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:23 am

So I take it nobody else is interested in this feature? lol

aspen31

Postby aspen31 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi
Not sure how accurate it may be but a freeware / payware program called FSrealwx pro has a setting which generates cirrus clouds. The latest version works well for me in Prepar3D although both simconnect and FSUIPC are required. I'm not really "fussy" about weather but it looks good to me in Prepar3D.
Hope this helps
Warren (aspen31

Randy87

Postby Randy87 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:20 am

Hi
Not sure how accurate it may be but a freeware / payware program called FSrealwx pro has a setting which generates cirrus clouds. The latest version works well for me in Prepar3D although both simconnect and FSUIPC are required. I'm not really "fussy" about weather but it looks good to me in Prepar3D.
Hope this helps
Warren (aspen31
Hi mate,

Thanks for your reply. So it seems that this program is sort of a replacement for Active Sky? Am I correct?

I would be fine to try it out, except I don't think it actually solves my issue. Yes cirrus clouds are generated, but I don't see it mention anywhere if they are 3D or not.

In case you misunderstood, my point was that in the FSX (P3D) engine, cirrus clouds are displayed as flat 2D objects and not in 3D like the lower cloud layers. As far as I know it's been that way right along. Why i'm not sure.

It's cosmetic, but would be nice if someone at LM could explain how that works, so even if they don't have the time to fix it, maybe someone else might. :)

aspen31

Postby aspen31 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 am

Hi again
I guess I am rapidly getting out of my depth here - just don't know about Prepar3D and clouds. I flew a bit yesterday with FSRealWX pro and did pay specific attention to any cirrus I could find. Not sure how they were generated but for me they were adequately realistic. I know of Active Sky but have not used it. I expect the FSRealWX Pro is a alternative.
Take care
Warren

Randy87

Postby Randy87 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:21 am

Hi again
I guess I am rapidly getting out of my depth here - just don't know about Prepar3D and clouds. I flew a bit yesterday with FSRealWX pro and did pay specific attention to any cirrus I could find. Not sure how they were generated but for me they were adequately realistic. I know of Active Sky but have not used it. I expect the FSRealWX Pro is a alternative.
Take care
Warren
Hey so having looked around I can confirm that this is doing the same as all other weather addons. Cirrus is generated, and it may look realistic as long as you are not flying at the same altitude, and/or passing through that altitude.

For example, if the cirrus clouds have been generated at 30,000 ft, when you are crossing that altitude the cirrus compresses into a single flat 2D line at that altitude, and then slowly comes back into view as you move away from that altitude. There is no volume to the clouds at all. And I think that is a native sim issue, not something that can be fixed by a weather addon. Thanks for you help though!

aspen31

Postby aspen31 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:27 am

Point taken. I tried a few flights through what appeared to be a cirrus layer and it was indeed very thin regardless of the weather program. Realistic enough for me I guess but not accurate.
Take care
Warren

Return to “Prepar3D Feature Requests”