GPU Usage Showing As Less Than 5%

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Ricardo777

GPU Usage Showing As Less Than 5%

Postby Ricardo777 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi there!

I hope you are well, keeping safe and healthy during this period of time.

I am posting this because I recently noticed something with Prepar3d V5 that I cannot seem to understand. Before installing V5 I uninstalled the previous Nvidia Driver using DDU and rebooted the computer, thereafter I installed the latest Nvidia Driver that I had downloaded.

I then went ahead and installed Prepar3d V5. I rebooted after installing and then I ran the program. Everything ran very well and smoothly with good performance, I do recall checking the GPU usage in the task manager at the time and noticed the GPU was being used up to and above 50%.

However since then this has not been the case, recently I noticed very bad stuttering in other programs while trying to multitask with Prepar3d V5 running in the background (i.e I tried scrolling on the internet using Google Chrome while the simulator was running and noticed Chrome was very slow and laggy). This prompted me to check what was going on in the Task Manager, there I found the GPU was being utilized primarily by an entry named 'Desktop Window Manager'. Since then I have been monitoring GPU usage while Prepar3d is running and it continues to show either 0% or a most 1-2% in the task manager no matter what the scenario. The performance tends to be very good however I am at times unable to multitask if the simulator is open and this was not the case before.

I will no mentioned what I have already done to try and solve this problem:
-Always run Prepar3d V5 as administrator,
-I have disabled fullscreen optimizations for Prepar3d V5,
-I have reinstalled the latest Nvidia Drivers and even tried Installing the old drivers, this does not seem to change this,
-I have added Prepar3dV5.exe to exclusions and the folder it is in for Windows Security,
-I have deleted the .cfg file as well as shaders and I have tried deleting ShaderHLSL and repairing the install, this does not change this,
-I have selected in the properties dialogue for Prepar3d V5 .exe, under Shortcut, Run: Maximized and Normal Window, neither seems to change this.

I only have ORBX products installed, as well as Chaseplane and the compatible FlyTampa Sceneries. No other add-ons are installed.

The only thing I am yet to try is rolling back to a previous version of Windows which I am trying to refrain from doing for now as I have the latest version running with updates applied.

If there is any further information that may help solver this I would truly appreciate it. I am running V5 in full screen mode just to let you know. Is this behavior normal or does something need to be done to change this because under the Prepar3d V5 entry in task manager I am literally seeing 0% usage and I think the maximum I have seen today was just under 1% usage.

Thank you for your assistance in advance I truly appreciate it and hope you have a lovely weekend further, oh and well done on V5 I absolutely love it and you guys did an amazing job!

Kind Regards,

Ricardo

Martyson

Re: GPU Usage Showing As Less Than 5%

Postby Martyson » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:54 pm

Ricardo,

Which Video card are your using?

P3D V5 System Requirements:
https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

List your:
OS (and version number)
PC specs
All Add-ons : hardware, yokes, pedals, AI traffic, ATC, weather program, aircraft, scenery etc.
Any special / custom setups like multiple monitors , viewers, projectors , SLI , Nvidia surround, or other software for them.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Ricardo777

Postby Ricardo777 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:06 pm

Hi Martyson,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently using an RTX2080TI.

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit (Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363)

PC Specs:
-CPU: I7-9700K
-GPU: MSI RTX2080TI
-RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance at 3200MHz
-Motherboard: MSI MEG Z390 ACE
-I can list all peripherals, cooling system etc. If needed.

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick is being used.
Add-Ons: Chaseplane (updated for V5), ORBX Global, ORBX EU, ORBX AUSv2. I have some additional FlyTampa and LatinVFR airport sceneries however all have been updated for V5.
Aside from these I'm not using any other addons.

As for Nvidia, I've installed the latest drivers for the RTX2080TI, in the control panel I have switched the power management for V5 to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' (I have tried with this off and on neither seems to change the result). No SLI running as I only have the one RTX2080TI. The GPU is connected to a single 2K 144Hz monitor via a Display Port v1.2 cable. No other software is running.

Hope this helps with a solution, thanks again for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it.

Ricardo777

Postby Ricardo777 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:13 pm

Oh and just thought I would add to the previous post, my dedicated GPU memory usage is sitting around 5GB in overcast conditions at the default Randolph AFB in the default F16.

The GPU has up to 11GB dedicated memory.

Ricardo777

Postby Ricardo777 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:19 pm

Last point I just wanted to mention, will try keep it to one message replies after this. What I find weird is the sim still performs smoothly, I found the thread that mentioned the VRAM being used completely up and hence the GPU utilization dropped I just find it weird I haven't gotten close to maxing my dedicated GPU memory and the sim continues to run but the Prepar3d V5 entry in task manager shows 0% utilization.

Only Desktop Window Manager is showing about 25%utilization.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:22 pm

Ok,
Is this your current Problem ?, from previous post:

"However since then this has not been the case, recently I noticed very bad stuttering in other programs while trying to multitask with Prepar3d V5 running in the background (i.e I tried scrolling on the internet using Google Chrome while the simulator was running and noticed Chrome was very slow and laggy). "
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Ricardo777

Postby Ricardo777 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks again for the quick reply sir,

Well I basically wanted to raise two concerns;

1-Is this normal that under task manager it show 0% of the GPU by the Prepar3d entry?
2-I have never had this problem in V4.5 where Desktop Windows Manager showed almost 100% utilisation while running Prepar3d which caused the browser to actually lag when scrolling due to GPU overload whereas Prepar3d continued to show 0% utilization.

This doesn't seem normal not because it didn't happen in V4.5 but I am pretty sure I checked the GPU utilization the first time I ran it after installing and it was using the GPU, now however that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ricardo777

Postby Ricardo777 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:34 pm

I can actually attach a screen shot if this would help as I'm by my computer at the moment.

I've started up the sim without Chaseplane and this didn't help and so I reenabled Chaseplane, I do notice however under GPU engine in Task Manager by the Prepar3d V5 entry I'm seeing the following, "GPU 0 - Copy".

And GPU utilization is up to around 0.5%.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:41 pm

Thanks again for the quick reply sir,

Well I basically wanted to raise two concerns;

1-Is this normal that under task manager it show 0% of the GPU by the Prepar3d entry?
2-I have never had this problem in V4.5 where Desktop Windows Manager showed almost 100% utilisation while running Prepar3d which caused the browser to actually lag when scrolling due to GPU overload whereas Prepar3d continued to show 0% utilization.

This doesn't seem normal not because it didn't happen in V4.5 but I am pretty sure I checked the GPU utilization the first time I ran it after installing and it was using the GPU, now however that doesn't seem to be the case.
First up, I do not run P3D in the background while Multitasking on the Internet to check other programs performance.

To check P3D it is best to reboot your PC and load the default flight (it loads e.g., the F22 at the default airport) without any Add-ons running.

Then look at the WIN10 Task Manager for performance of P3D.

Then, what are the results?
If you get a screenshot I could do the same test.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Ricardo777

Postby Ricardo777 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:44 pm

So I have checked the results already without multitasking earlier today however I'll do this quickly and upload a screenshot for you sir.

Thank you for your assistance. Will post in about 5 minutes.

Ricardo777

Postby Ricardo777 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:00 pm

Alright managed to get it done apologies for the delay, please find the screenshots at the attached link.

https://imgur.com/wxGDCRN

Ricardo777

Postby Ricardo777 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:04 pm

This image at the link below will show you what appears to be happening with Desktop Windows Manager.

https://imgur.com/7hPkHfH

Ricardo777

Postby Ricardo777 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:11 pm

And here is the last screenshot I will share for now but will gladly share more if needed, here you can see whats going on with the dedicated GPU memory etc.

https://imgur.com/4oGneT6

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:20 pm

What I see (screenshot) with the default flight loaded:

You have Google Chrome doing something in your screenshot?

With the default flight do you have a good flight or problems?

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Ricardo777

Postby Ricardo777 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Alright so from your screenshot I can see that GPU usage in this version of Prepared should be very low in regards to what Task Manager says next to the entry?

With the default flight and no multitasking things seem to run very well.

I was using Chrome to communicate with you but nothing other than that.

I suspect everything must be normal then I didn't know the Prepar3d entry was meant to show such little utilization.

But thank you so much for your help I truly appreciate it.

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”