Stock i9 9900k Low Fps issue

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Sharkey

Stock i9 9900k Low Fps issue

Postby Sharkey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Hey guys, Sorry for so much information but the more I get in here maybe the more you guys can help by having the information that I have

I've just recently re-built my Flight sim system to the following Specs.
Intel i9 9900k
Z390 motherboard
16Gb's 3200mhz ram in Dual channel
Nvidia 2080 (non ti model)

Windows 10 Pro fully up to date as of current date
Nvidia Drivers up to date on 417.71

Addon's used
Active Sky for P3Dv4
Orbx suit
Global Base pack
Global openLC Europe
Global openLC NA
Global Trees
Global Vectors
EU England
True Earth Netherlands
North America Northern Cali
North America Southern Cali

PMDG
747-4
747-8
777-2
737NGX

Fslabs
A320
A319

My Sim settings are as required for FTX global recommendations
Testing has been done using the following
Base line test
Start location is EGKK London Gatwick
Active runway
Weather - Fair Weather theme set with Active sky off
using the F22
With the F22 active sky off and everything else as is I'm getting top out at 50.27fps and spike drops every now and then to 20fps in VC
Outside view
I get 70.3 to 80.2 fps

worst case baseline test
Start location is EGKK London Gatwick
Active runway
Weather - Fair Weather theme set with Active sky off
using the 747-8 PMDG
With the 747-8 PMDG active sky off and everything else as is I'm getting top out at 40fps and spike drops every now and then to 15fps in VC
Outside view
I get 70.3 to 60.7 fps

Graphical settings are as follows
Display
Profile set to custom
Display interface is set to my 2080
Screenresolution is 2560x1440x32 in full screen windows mode (FYI full screen non windows mode get the same fps readings within margin of error)

FXAA: Off
AA - 4xMSAA
TF - Anisotropic 16x
Texture Res - 2048x2048
Frame rate limit is set to unlimited
mipmap is on
Window screen is on

World Details
LODR is on Max
Tessellation Factor on High
Mesh Res - 5m
Texture res - 7cm
use High Res terrain Tex is on
Water is on Ultra
Bathymerty off

Scenery Complexity Extremely Dense
Autogen and scenery Draw Distance Very High
Autogen Vegetation density - normal
Autogen Building density - normal
Dynamic 3D autogen Vegetation on

Special effects Medium
Special effects distance low

Lighting is on Default
Enable HDR lighting is on
Dynamic Reflections off
Dyanmic Lighting on
Landing Lights illuminate Ground on
Display lens flare on

Shadow settings all medium

Weather settings
Cloud Draw Distance is 90
Cloud coverage density is Maximum
Clouds set to detailed
Volumetric fog on
Detailed precipitation on
Windshield effects on
Thermal Visulization is off

Traffic is all at 0%

I'm just so confused as to what more I need to do to get a smooth Experince that I want from the VC. Outside view performances are fine but in the VC I'm just losing so much and its actually a little irritating when moving from looking at the Instruments to looking out the window to get a horrible stutter due to the drop in frames.

Am I expecting too much ?? or am I just setting something wrong? is there additional things I need to run to get this smooth??
I'm just getting stuck at frame rates I'd expect to see at 4k not 1440

useage wise All 8 cores and 16threads are using 90 to 100% utilisation and the GPU is sitting at 20% usage

downscc

Re: Stock i9 9900k Low Fps issue

Postby downscc » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:28 pm

The UK2000 Heathrow is the worst performing scenery I have installed. I don't know why yet, I found improvement by moving a few sliders to the left but still not acceptable. I have a 7700K 4.8GHz with 2x 1080Ti SLI and taxiing EGLL my frame rate drops to 12 fps from my locked 20 fps. None of my Flightbeam, FSDT, Taxi2Gate, and others do this poorly. I know that the London area is tough but so is the Los Angeles basin with Orbx SCA and other than annoying long frames my frame rate at FSDT KLAX is at my locked rate. Go figure.
Dan Downs
KCRP

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:32 pm

The UK2000 Heathrow is the worst performing scenery I have installed. I don't know why yet, I found improvement by moving a few sliders to the left but still not acceptable. I have a 7700K 4.8GHz with 2x 1080Ti SLI and taxiing EGLL my frame rate drops to 12 fps from my locked 20 fps. None of my Flightbeam, FSDT, Taxi2Gate, and others do this poorly. I know that the London area is tough but so is the Los Angeles basin with Orbx SCA and other than annoying long frames my frame rate at FSDT KLAX is at my locked rate. Go figure.
Yeah I'm not even using any Additional Airports yet at all. I'm on all Stock Airfields other than any bits Orbx has. I was hoping to get a 50 solid in the PMDG but I think I'm gunna just have to live with 40 just so irritating when every Few miniutes it just Drops to 12 for no reason causing a nauseous Stutter.

I've used Mega Heathrow that seems to have been ok with Active sky and everything as I've said in these settings has been about 40 ish still. I'm just guessing theres nothing more I can tweek to get this better without losing quality

toutenglisse73

Postby toutenglisse73 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:48 am

You can try to disable hyperthreading in bios - to me it's night and day but I don't use many addons so maybe it won't help you.

FCXEVV

Postby FCXEVV » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi,

I think I know what your problem is, I had similar problem, my graphics where up at max with AI water craft and aircraft OFF.

After the same version of drivers where installed my frames rates dropped from high 50's low 60's to around 21. The cause was the nvidia drivers. I un installed them and reverted back the ones from last August and frames rates came back on next load.

This effected everything that I was running via the high end graphics card.

My drivers are 24.21.13.9836 , this is on a gtx 1050.

Regards

Steve
EDIT:
PS. the driver version you quoted, I downloaded last tue 15th Jan and installed them trusting they would be ok.
I uninstalled them via control panel because in the device manager I could no longer rollback as it's 'greyed out'

ejoiner

Postby ejoiner » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:54 pm

Im having these same problems on a brand new machine I purpose built for P3D. This thing should be SMOKING on P3D, but I am getting high 20's low 30s FPS. I am convinced this is an NVIDIA driver issue as the new drivers (latest one 418.81) that support the RTX 2080 card dont seem to love P3D or vice versa. My tried and true 388.71 drivers that I know worked well on my older 1070 card dont support the RTX 2080.

Heres my system. No idea why this isnt a smoke show on P3D.

Asus ROG Strix Z390 E gaming Motherboard
Intel i7-8700K coffee lake processor 3.7 Mhz
32 GB of G.skill 3200 Mhz DDR4 dram
Corsair Water cooling system
850 watt power supply
1 TB Crucial technologies M.2 2080 SSD - completely dedicated to P3D. Nothing else on it...
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 8GB Video card
Windows 10 Professional OS
Upstar 27 inch 4K monitor (I already had this.)
Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case. Plenty of air moving in this beast.

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”