[RESOLVED] P3D/Scenery install

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
clintos96

[RESOLVED] P3D/Scenery install

Postby clintos96 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:41 am

Hi Everyone,

Would P3D benefit from being installed onto an SSD?

I'm currently in the process of building my new pc for the sim and I was wondering if I could install P3DV4 onto a 1TB SSD and install scenery onto a separate HDD?
I assume by installing the scenery onto it's own drive I would just have to point the scenery library to its location and it would work..

Or

Is it recommended that I keep everything on one HDD or SSD?

Cheers,
Clinton

downscc

Re: P3D/Scenery install

Postby downscc » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:04 pm

I have P3D and addons on two separate drives, the current strategy promulgated in the SDK is to keep addon files separate from P3D files and it doens't matter if that is on the same drive or not. The preferred method uses add-on.xml files, and most developers that are selling scenery for P3Dv4 will use this method. The free Lorby Addon Organizer can help make this strategy easy for those that don't want to dig into the SDK details.

If your budget constrains you to HDD vs SSD then that is not a problem for scenery. Orbx suggests that their (very large) files can be installed on a HDD without impacting performance; however, load times will be longer. I just added a 2TB SSD for only about $300 so my preference is to stay away from HDD except for very large drives I use for archive and backup.
Dan Downs
KCRP

clintos96

Postby clintos96 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:38 am

Dan,

Sorry if I come across as "lacking brains" but I'd like to get this down pat and pc config correct.
With your addons on the separate drive (we'll say scenery) do you just point the scenery library to its location and it works?

I aim to put my p3d install onto an SSD to speed up load times but unfortunately I can't get a big enough SSD to house everything so this is the route I'm gonna have to go down.

Cheers,
Clinton

downscc

Postby downscc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:41 pm

Depends on how the addons are installed. If the addon installer uses legacy methods, which make an entry to the scenery.cfg, then yes that entry will include the path to the addon. This is not a new feature and has worked in this way as long as I can remember with MSFS. If the addon installer uses the P3Dv4 recommended method, then there is nothing you need to do because those installers will post an entry to an add-on.cfg file with the path to the addon information or the addon information is installed to the P3Dv4 Addon Documents folder where these are automatically detected.

There is no simple one answer because each addon has it's own installer and their are various ways to accomplish the same thing. The question you are asking is basically can you install scenery to a different drive...: YES. How? Well that depends on how the installer works.

I suspect you might be referring to large files for photoscenery kind of addons, that you install yourself using the legacy method of adding each item to the scenery library. Again, yes you can use a different drive. Simply provide the full path in the field that you enter the path for the scenery... this is not new for P3D, you've always been able to put scenery on a different drive.
Dan Downs
KCRP

clintos96

Postby clintos96 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for all your help. I wasn't aware that you could put scenery onto a different drive.

Consider the topic closed.

Cheers,
Clinton

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”