Help to set up three monitors for outside views

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Aussie1234

Help to set up three monitors for outside views

Postby Aussie1234 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 am

Hi all,
I have a full size 737 cockpit currently running the Prosim737 system and FS9 as the flight simulator. It consist of three old PCs with FS9 linked by Wide view to display the outside views. A total of 6 PCs in the network
I want to now update the cockpit to P3Dv4.1 on one PC, showing the three outside views. Before I pull the old system down, I want to find out how to set it up in P3D. The three 42 inch monitors do not show a continuous panoramic view but one displaying 90 degree left view, a centre view and a 90 degree right view.

How can I set that display up so that the setup and the config sticks when I turn the system off and back on?
The new PC has a GTX 1070 8G card. Each monitor have a max horizontal resolution of about 1280.

Thanks,

Aussie

aeronauta

Re: Help to set up three monitors for outside views

Postby aeronauta » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:54 am

Aussie, have a read of this , still applies to V4...

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=119668

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester

Aussie1234

Postby Aussie1234 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Thanks Jorge,

I had been vaguely following that forum topic (now 49 entries long) for a while. It had swung to looking for solutions to overlaps on projectors so I lost interest and hence my post on my specific set up.
I had glanced at the downloadable PDF once but got confused at the time.
Following you advice I have saved the document this time and re-read it closely.
I can see it is applicable and has the tools to do what I want.
One of my problems is, that even though all of the monitors are the same size (42 inches), each occupy a different angle of view for me physically sitting in the right hand seat.
The front monitor provides about 60 degrees field of view, the left is 90 degrees to my left (closer) and shows a greater angle of view, and the right is outside the co-pilot's window (further away) showing only what can be seen through it.

I think the document does have all the tools I require.
I now need to go out and purchase some adaptors to try it out. All of the monitors are DVI input and my GTX 1070 only has one DVI out along with a HDMI and three Display ports.
I guess I will purchase a couple Display port to DVI adaptors and start testing.

Thanks
Aussie.

Aussie1234

Postby Aussie1234 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:51 am

Well I've been testing following the Mark Hargrove instructions. It all went Ok, to a point, but I need some help.

I went through and set up a Viewgroup (VG1), three views, and a ViewFrustrum for each. The instance has no faults reported and closes OK. First problem is not being able to see my Viewgroup in the P3D View dropdown?
I can go in again to the View Group Manager and find the VG1 group, modify it and close it Ok. Still can't find it in the View> Menu.

I re-tried it many times. I then re-read the manual and went looking in AppData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D... directory and can't find a Display.xml or a ViewGroups.xml files? (Prepar3D.cfg is there OK) I did a file manager search of my C: of F: drives and can't find the files anywhere?

What am I doing wrong? Where are the files hiding?

Aussie

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”