GPU Memory max'd out

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
hrhett

GPU Memory max'd out

Post by hrhett »

@poppet, et-all.

I'm running 5.3 with an i9-9900, 32Gb RAM, 8Gb GeForce RTX 2080, Rift S, Active Sky, AIG traffic and various add-ons. In this particular instance I'm flying a leg between YVR and YYC in a PMDG 737-700 and FSDreamteam's YVR. Upon starting at the gate and running GSX it doesn't take long for the GPU RAM to max out and CDT. Here's my question: If I have 8Gb VRAM why does the available graphics memory vary every time I load P3D (FPS/VRAM odometer in the upper right hand corner stats) to some amount less than 8Gb (typically six to seven-ish or less is the max available). I presume lowering the sliders will improve my luck. What's the resolution here, going to a 12Gb VRAM RTX 3080 or 24Gb VRAM 3090? Are people CDT running out of graphics memory with advanced scenery, aircraft and moderate settings? This is reminiscent if FSX's 4Gb RAM limitations.

Best regards,
Howard Rhett
JorgenSA

Re: GPU Memory max'd out

Post by JorgenSA »

Howard,

You are running out of VRAM over complex terrain combined with complex aircraft installed.

Apart from a graphics card with more VRAM, you could look at some of your settings, two of which would be LOD radius and autogen complexity.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
hrhett

Post by hrhett »

Thanks Jorgen, that was my inclination. I guess the real question is; are the graphics bound by VRAM? It's not out of bounds to expect to run the simulator with enhanced atmospherics, PMDG, weather and an airport add-on given what other simulators are capable of today.

Howard
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

What is out of bounds to expect, and what other simulators can do, is a bear trap that I am not going to stick my head into.

But in general, the more complex your scenery gets, the more complex add-ons you add (aircraft, scenery and weather for example), and the more you push your settings (sliders towards the right), the more VRAM you are going to need.

As you see in my signature I have 4 GB of VRAM, and these are my settings:

LOD radius: High
Tesselation factor: High
Mesh resolution: 1 m.
Texture resolution: 15 cm.
Use high-resolution terrain textures: off
Scenery complexity: Dense
Autogen and scenery draw distance: Medium
Autogen vegetation density: Very dense
Autogen building density: Very dense
Road lights: off
Dynamic 3D autogen vegetation: off
EA: off

I do not have complicated add-on aircraft or any add-on weather programs.

I found the above settings as a compromise that lets me just scrape through my VRAM limit with very complex scenery without crashing.

And yes, at some point in the future there is a new graphics card waving at me....

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

hrhett wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:34 am @poppet, et-all.

I'm running 5.3 with an i9-9900, 32Gb RAM, 8Gb GeForce RTX 2080, Rift S, Active Sky, AIG traffic and various add-ons. In this particular instance I'm flying a leg between YVR and YYC in a PMDG 737-700 and FSDreamteam's YVR. Upon starting at the gate and running GSX it doesn't take long for the GPU RAM to max out and CDT. Here's my question: If I have 8Gb VRAM why does the available graphics memory vary every time I load P3D (FPS/VRAM odometer in the upper right hand corner stats) to some amount less than 8Gb (typically six to seven-ish or less is the max available). I presume lowering the sliders will improve my luck. What's the resolution here, going to a 12Gb VRAM RTX 3080 or 24Gb VRAM 3090? Are people CDT running out of graphics memory with advanced scenery, aircraft and moderate settings? This is reminiscent if FSX's 4Gb RAM limitations.

Best regards,
Howard Rhett
The amount of available vram varies each time you load the sim. It varies depending on what windows and any other applications you are running at the time. I run on orbx base without vector, Active sky, and the duke turbine and I regularly hit 5-6GB of vram being used. So it doesn't surprise me at all that you are maxing out your GPU with all of the addons that you have. As Jorgen stated, compromises will need to be made with your settings. Also, monitor settings play a big part as well, i.e. resolution setting and the number of monitors you are driving off of the GPU.
BAWV12

Post by BAWV12 »

Try set texture resolution to 2048x2048 or 1024x1024. It should help.