New competitor enters the market

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
venzi

Postby venzi » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:04 am

This is the Prepar3d forum, so I'm not going into the details - you probably all know them by now anyway. It remains to be seen who will make the best out of old FSX. I know that P3D developers would say they are not focusing on the "gaming" users, but the fact remains that it's the same product.

With the beginning of the new year, I'd be interested to know what Lockheed's plans for future development are.

IMO, here are the main areas where P3D needs improvement:

1. Lack of airliners. Many of the simmers love flying airliners and there isn't much of a choice with the default set of P3D aircraft. There is the CaptainSim 777 now, and couple of other 3rd party airliners, but wouldn't it be great if improved 737, 747 and the Airbus airplanes were included, just like with old FSX? Yes, I know that Lockheed probably considers Boeing and Airbus competitors. And I know that old default aircraft from FSX can be copied over into P3D.

But it would be really great if P3D tried to win on their side the few freeware developers out there, who are working on POSKY jets etc. They don't seem interested in P3D at the moment and it's a pity, for with only a little effort we could have some great airliners in P3D.

2. ATC. Not much work is needed here either. I'm not saying P3D should support latest SID/STARs, however, wouldn't it be great if ATC would guide you (weather permitting) according to the points in the current flight plan? I don't think this would be too difficult to implement.

3. Performance. I don't deny that P3D is usable, however, when you have larger airports and a lot of traffic, and also under heavy weather, even the most expensive hardware is not enough to have P3D running smoothly.

acra24

Postby acra24 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:41 pm

2. ATC. Not much work is needed here either. I’m not saying P3D should support latest SID/STARs, however, wouldn’t it be great if ATC would guide you (weather permitting) according to the points in the current flight plan? I don’t think this would be too difficult to implement...Amen to that!

garrettprs

Postby garrettprs » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:28 pm

2. ATC. Not much work is needed here either. I’m not saying P3D should support latest SID/STARs, however, wouldn’t it be great if ATC would guide you (weather permitting) according to the points in the current flight plan? I don’t think this would be too difficult to implement.

Please tell me you're being facetious. ATC in FSX/P3D is a joke. In fact, architecture aside, the ATC infrastructure is--and always has been--one of the things that needs the most attention. Granted several 3rd party developers stepped in with their own supplements, I'm not aware that any of them were a runaway success. Regardless, none of them are P3D-compatible. But then I suppose that's where IVAO and VATSIM come into play...

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:41 pm

"With the beginning of the new year, I’d be interested to know what Lockheed’s plans for future development are."

Your answer is the 3rd post from the top here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/what-is-lm-team-working-on-now/

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

KelvinNZ

Postby KelvinNZ » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:18 am

If the competitor does it right, this could change the face of flight simulation once again. Let's hope LM bring their game on now that there's some competition in the air.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:48 am

"New competitor enters the market"

Maybe you could post a link to this story so all the FS9, FSX and LM pilots could read about this news?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

johnan

Postby johnan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:07 am

Yes, who is this new competitor?

Not FSX on Steam I suppose, heaven forbid!

On the ATC front, Radar Contact and VoxATC work in P3D. I certainly use Vox ATC with P3D v2.4 without any problems.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:21 am

"Yes, who is this new competitor?"
Compition to what?
The subject / topic was not clear .... whatever the OP was referring to.

But, on ATC I have used Radar Contact years ago ... for a "very short" time ... no good for me.

I now use VOXatc on a few test flights .. VOXatc is good, the best I gave seen, but still has a few issues reported in its forum on AVSIM.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

McMaster

Postby McMaster » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:17 pm

It would be nice if we at least got a transparent ATC window, which seems not to be happening.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:46 pm

When it comes to ATC, there are some improvements needed to reflect the FAA's NextGen effort, including time-based-metering for separation and the respective controller speed advisories that are given to the pilot in order to meet those times. But that would assume that ATC gets such an overhaul that would include aircraft separation considerations for En Route flights....

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”