No VR improvements for v5?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Hippo

No VR improvements for v5?

Postby Hippo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:33 pm

Very disappointing if so.

Martyson

Re: No VR improvements for v5?

Postby Martyson » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:54 pm

Very disappointing if so.
See Rob's information here:
viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=136746
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Hippo

Postby Hippo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks.

Sadly, I'm not optimistic. The v.4.x implementation still leaves a lot to be desired, and look at how long it took to get there. The VR implementation requires, at the very least:

a functional kneeboard implementation.
the ability to manipulate cockpit items (with the mouse) without having to be looking straight at them.
all UI screens / menus / etc, accessible from VR.

I find it inexcusable that these features weren't delivered in 4.x.

FSTramp

Postby FSTramp » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:35 pm

Now I'm making myself unpopular. X-Plane offers user statistics

http://dashboard.x-plane.com/

And although X-Plane's VR system is better, only 2.06 percent of users use VR. For these 2 percent of users, extreme development effort has to be made, yes that is really a big number to realize a VR system. All other users have to pay these costs, although 98 percent have no benefit from them. Is that fair? Should there be an extra license for using VR? A license that covers the extra costs for VR?

Hippo

Postby Hippo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:15 am

Your argument is valid and well made. However (and fwiw*), I will now not be buying into v5. LM did make VR a selling point for v4.

"extreme" development effort? Arguable? Besides, with P3D they're most of the way there already. Other products have managed to include the functionality I mention from day 1.

* sure - not much.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:24 pm

P3D return policy 14 day money back guarantee:
https://www.prepar3d.com/support/refundpolicy/
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Hippo

Postby Hippo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:05 am

Sorry, but I'm bumping this up to have a whinge.

Anyone who has ever flown an aircraft will know that the use of checklists is an integral and essential part of the activity.

How on earth can you possibly justify not having the ability to display checklists in VR? It is, in my view, inexplicable and inexcusable.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:13 am

Sorry, but I'm bumping this up to have a whinge.

Anyone who has ever flown an aircraft will know that the use of checklists is an integral and essential part of the activity.

How on earth can you possibly justify not having the ability to display checklists in VR? It is, in my view, inexplicable and inexcusable.
Which aircraft?
Which checklist e.g., a default P3D type checklist or an Add-on aircraft's checklist??
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Hippo

Postby Hippo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:24 am

Any aircraft. Are you familiar with DCS? They have a kneeboard implementation. It's basic and could do with improvement - but it does the job. There is a default kneeboard popup in P3D, but it's not available in VR.

There should be the ability to have a kneeboard you can bring up in VR that you can populate with images/ pdf's, so you have access to checklists, plates, etc, whilst in VR.

e.g. Image
Last edited by Hippo on Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:34 am

Any aircraft. Are you familiar with DCS? They have a kneeboard implementation. It's basic and could do with improvement - but it does the job. There is a default kneeboard popup in P3D, but it's not available in VR.

There should be the ability to have a kneeboard you can bring up in VR that you can populate with images/ pdf's, so you have access to checklists, plates, etc, whilst in VR.
Yes, I know of DCS but I do not use it.

So, you would basically like an EFB (electronic flight bag) like in the PMDG737NGXu for all your aircraft / checklists?
For the default P3D kneeboard data you could do screenshots and include in your EFB.

Just for information, the P3D forum has an area for requests:
viewforum.php?f=6317
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Hippo

Postby Hippo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:42 am

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I'd be grateful if someone from LM could comment as to why this obviously essential functionality is not provided in VR, and if there are any plans to provide it.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:45 am

I later seen your screenshot of the checklist from DCS.

My checklist on the VRS F/A-18E comes up on the aircraft’s DDI.

It is ok to share information and ideas on the forum.

Have you purchased P3Dv5 ?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

daytona125

Postby daytona125 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:47 pm

P3D return policy 14 day money back guarantee:
https://www.prepar3d.com/support/refundpolicy/
10 more days to go. I will be asking for a refund if there are no updates by then. This was just a rush job by Lockheed to get this out. This sim is not nearly ready. Gotta wonder if the competitions product is coming out real soon?

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”