PMDG P3D v3 crash after few hours

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Gazguzzler

Re: P3Dv3 CTD Event 1000 MSVCR120.dll

Postby Gazguzzler » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi Craig,

Download AppCrashViewer in order to see if the event name is MSVCR120.dll
I know there is a lot of threads here but I would recommend that you read through them to see what Gerard and myself tried/changed. The fault has not been resolved, we are merely flying around the problem in the T7 by not clicking on the LH PFD. I would suggest that you carry out the re-install of the English only C++ runtimes and .net files, that seemed to help create a more stable environment. Make sure to delete the files and re-download them fresh from MS website.
Good luck.
Regards
Gary

Ps. I have not experienced anymore MSVCR120.dll CTD since taking these steps.

the nightfly

Postby the nightfly » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:51 pm

This has certainly been quite a saga, after almost two months!

It's been a long time since I worked in software development, but this sounds to me like one of the most dreaded of all bugs, the "bad pointer" error. With that sort of bug, what is happening is that data is being written somewhere it shouldn't be...but it could be anywhere in memory. If it overwrites something critical, it could crash right away, but, depending on what's running on one's system, it could be writing to locations in free memory over and over, meaning that you never notice a thing, then it hits memory that's already in use, and...crash! The problem is that where it hits, and the effects of such an overwrite, vary not only from moment to moment and computer to computer, but might change from run to run as well, as other, unrelated-to-P3D processes allocate memory in the background while you're playing, meaning that a write to random memory that caused no problems at one moment can suddenly be overwriting another process's memory, while writing to the exact same location, a few moments later.

Similarly, debugging such a problem can be a real bear, since it appears to be almost intermittent. (Plus, you can get a nightmare scenario where a bad pointer overwrites code that contains other pointers, and so on...) As I said, it's been a long time since I programmed computer games, but I would hope that debugging tools exist now that would detect such a write to random memory outside the program's own boundaries (because they didn't when I was doing this). Of course, if the write is going to the wrong part of the program's own allocated memory, even such tools wouldn't be of much assistance...

gerard2101

Postby gerard2101 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:04 am

Hi Gary ,

good to hear you don't have any crashes anymore, me neither as long as i don't touch the left pfd IN FLIGHT ,

Best regards and save flights ,

Gérard

mellox90

Re: P3D v3 crash after few hours

Postby mellox90 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:35 am

Hello guys, i'm having the exact same crash as you after few hours of use..in my case after about 2 hours the p3dv3 application stops working and quit,no log in the event viewer, no log in the appcrash program, nothing at all.I'm unable to understand what trigger the error,and it is really frustratring since i've done multiple tests with combination of addon (on and off) and even vanilla p3d + pmdg 737 triggers that after 2 hours. Full format,os and p3d reinstall does not solve it also.
My configuration:
P3DV3
PMDG 737NGX
Active Sky next
Ge p3d
Few Aerosoft airports (native p3d v3 installer-no migration tool).
Utx v2

Seems that p3d v3 and PMDG 737 ngx does not work well together at the moment.
P.s. the very same config works perfectly with p3d v2.5

Best regards;

Marcello

Mike LM

Postby Mike LM » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:53 pm

To confirm, this is only happening with PMDG vehicles, but it's happening with evry PMDG vehicle. Correct? We're trying to reproduce this.
Prepar3D® Software Engineer

jabloomf1230

Postby jabloomf1230 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:23 pm

No, I had it happen with the RealAir Turbine Duke.

PaulOrcel

Postby PaulOrcel » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Hey guys,

Following this thread for a while, and today my first flight without this CTD.

8hrs in flight. I used for the first time this trick not to click on the LH PFD and it seems to have worked for this time.

Config :
i7 4790 @ 4Ghz
GTX 980 4Gb
16Gb ram DDR3
Windows 10 fresh install
P3D V3 + PMDG 777 + ASN

A little pic to celebrate !

Fingers crossed for the next time.

Keep it up,

Paul

craig_read

Postby craig_read » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:22 am

Gazguzzler wrote:Hi Craig,

Download AppCrashViewer in order to see if the event name is MSVCR120.dll
I know there is a lot of threads here but I would recommend that you read through them to see what Gerard and myself tried/changed. The fault has not been resolved, we are merely flying around the problem in the T7 by not clicking on the LH PFD. I would suggest that you carry out the re-install of the English only C++ runtimes and .net files, that seemed to help create a more stable environment. Make sure to delete the files and re-download them fresh from MS website.
Good luck.
Regards
Gary

Ps. I have not experienced anymore MSVCR120.dll CTD since taking these steps.

Thanks for this, I uninstalled and re-installed all my C++ runtimes and .net files last night so will try a flight tonight. I will not click on the left PFD, although I am sure it crashed for me last time clicking on the LH ND. Will report back.

Regards

Craig Read
Craig Read
UK, EGLL

gerard2101

Postby gerard2101 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:43 am

Hi Craig ,

My observations with the lh PFD is when i click on the left pfd during preflight i will get the MSVCR error during the flight after 8.30 hours , sometimes when clicking in flight on the lh PFD and sometimes even without clicking somewhere
If i don't click the PFD during pre flight or in the flight itself ,i can click in the PFD after landing without problems , for me this is repeatedly so i can work around it .

When i don't click in the left PFD during preflight or in the flight itself i don't have any problems , even after landing clicking on the lh PFD doesn't give me any problems , settings all maxed out except for autogen , quite happy with that at medium settings .

In my case it only crashes after clicking during pre flight or in flight , when i click on the ground after landing i don't have this problem .

Best regards ,

Gérard

Mike LM

Postby Mike LM » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:19 pm

Is this happening with any default vehicles? What about vanilla Prepar3D?

mellox90

Postby mellox90 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:54 am

Hello Mike, thank you very much for your answer. This evening i will try with vanilla p3d - vehicle and report back.
Best regards,
Marcello

mellox90

Postby mellox90 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:40 pm

Hello Mike, I made a few tests. P3d worked as expected with defaults vehicles and with any other sceneries,airports and weather addons.so, the problem on my side is triggered only by the combination of p3d+ pmdg 737,it happens after about 1h50m-2h00m of flight.
Since i only own the pmdg 737, i cannot speak for other aircraft addon. If you need me to do any other test i'm here.
Thank you very much, best regards.
Marcello

Mike LM

Postby Mike LM » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:57 pm

If it's only happening with the one PMDG aircraft, then it's most likely an issue with that aircraft.

RVxSpeed

Postby RVxSpeed » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:47 pm

just FYI.as most of u r dead by now XD.
i think the problem has finally gone.i haven't have the CTD since i disable the HT in bios.my original intention was to check if what people claiming that -400MB vas + increase in fps was true or not.but,for now it seems the problem is solved.
btw,i am not using v3.1.i don't want to.bcoz,there is no SIGNIFICANT changes in change log.at this point i am also disappointed at LM that they seem to promise to fix this problem on this so called upcoming update.
u guys should try.disabling HT in bios actually helps a lot.

downscc

Postby downscc » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:03 pm

My first session with v3.1 and the PMDG 737 NGX ended with a MSVCR120 CTD, same exception code (c0000005) and exception offset (0345ac) as previous several dozen CTD events.

I did use the L DU popup on departure then stowed it for remainder of session. Flight KIAH-KLAX was about 3 hr enroute, and CTD happened after I was at gate and aircraft 'shutdown.' I was testing light splash during the day and when it failed to appear I changed the time to Dusk using P3D menu and on that the application crashed before rendering the scene.

For now it appears that 3.1 did not fix the lighting problem or the problem with the gauge in a 2D window popup, although much more use is warranted before stating flat out that the symptoms are unchanged from v3.0

I am very interested in the reported difference with HT off. I tried a session with HT off and did not see a difference in VAS loading so it went back on. Performance hit using P3D with HT off for me was nil, so it is worth a try.
Dan Downs
KCRP

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”