Weird startup and menu issues

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Sabre57

Weird startup and menu issues

Postby Sabre57 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:54 am

Ok. I have two issues.

1. When starting up the sim it opens fine and displays the scenario screen. When I click on OK the program asks if I really want to exit, Yes or no. If I click on no P3d attempts to load the scenario while still displaying the scenario screen and promptly crashes. If I click on yes the sim exits. I tried to modify the scenario auto starts flag and no joy. I was able to modify the config file and the sim starts up with the default flight and works just fine.

2. When changing settings the only sub menu that actually changes settings is graphics. No other changes are saved or implemented; scenery, lighting, weather, controls, etc. I can for the most part update the config file directly.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thank you.

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: Weird startup and menu issues

Postby Beau Hollis » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:05 am

That does sound quite weird. Sorry you are experiencing that. Please provide us with your system specs and any other information you think might help such as any special settings or add-ons being used and we will do our best to track it down. Some things you might try:
- Run as administrator to rule out permissions issues editing the config files.
- Clear generated files (roaming, local, progradata) in case anything got into a bad state.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

Sabre57

Resolved: Re: Weird startup and menu issues

Postby Sabre57 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:28 am

I think I've resolved my issues. It appears that P3d did not play nice with my USB monitors. So I turned them off, restarted the sim, and voila, it works.

After flying a test flight I was able to turn the USB monitors back on and everything still seems to work. Not sure why it does but I'm not going to ask too many other questions.

As a side note, V3, so far for me, seems to be a very large improvement over V2.5. To me it feels smoother without any tweaking. So much so that I plan on testing higher settings.

Great Job Lockheed!

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:49 am

We've seen issues before where USB monitor drivesr showed up as video cards and the rendering system failed to start up in DirectX11 mode, but it's odd that the application reacted the way it did. I'm glad to hear that you got things up and running and are happy with v3.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

Sabre57

Postby Sabre57 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:16 am

My issue is only partially resolved. This is very similar to the issue I had in 2.5. That issue was that while using USB monitors for panels and ATC I could not make any changes to settings or p3d would crash. The work around was to turn off the USB monitors, start P3d, make the changes I wanted to make, exit P3d, turn the monitors back on, restart P3d.

In v3.0 the difference is that you can attempt to make changes, it shows on the screen that you did, but they aren't saved or activated. The one benefit in all of that is that it doesn't crash the sim.

However, if I attempt to create a new scenario I get that strange message after clicking on ok as to whether or not I really want to exit.

The work around for v3 is the same as 2.5.

My config is:
Win 7 64bit
I5-4750k(I think)
16GB ram
gtx660 with 3GB memory
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
3 23" main monitors
3 USB monitors, two of which are touchscreens.

I've seen a few other folks mention this issue. However, I'm sure not nearly enough to warrant a serious look at it. Especially given how new v3 is. One other interesting tidbit is that there are two display device sections in the config each pointing to the gtx660, one labeled 0.2 and the other 0.3 which are the 3 23 " and the one non-touch USB. The touch screens aren't listed at all.

Since I have a work around, I'm just going to utilize it and keep simulating.

OldAirMail

Postby OldAirMail » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:51 am

The problem that you're having now is exactly what I've been having since V2.1.

I have two 9" USB monitors (one is a touchscreen monitor) that I use for instruments. If they're on when I start Prepar3d V2.5 then Prepar3d will crash to desktop as you describe.

Fortunately, they're within arms reach, and as I only use them for Prepar3d, turning them on/off isn't any problem.

Plugable believes that its a problem caused by the Renesas Electronics USB chipset on my motherboard.

They found this out while resolving a Plugable USB to VGA adapter for my GPS.

Essentially, it's not a Prepar3d problem.

Sabre57

Postby Sabre57 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Any word on this issue? I can load a flight from the scenario screen but cannot start a new scenario. When I click ok, the programs asks me if I want to exit the sim. If I say no it attempts to load the scenario but the scenario screen stays open and the flight won't commence. While running task master both the scenario app and the sim are running at the same time.

It's very cumbersome to setup scenarios and/or change settings. Any fix would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

DaveWG

Postby DaveWG » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:23 pm

I also had the same issue with the scenario load/save buttons on the startup screen. After much investigation it turned out to be a corrupt entry in the aircraft.cfg of one of my add-on AI aircraft.
Quite why that would cause the problem, I have no idea, but once I rectified the entry it's been fine ever since.

Sabre57

Postby Sabre57 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:25 pm

In my case its definitely related to my usb monitors. Thats because as soon as I turn them off everything works just fine. One other note, when. I look at the resolution of the touch screen usb monitors in the sim no resolution is displayed. Its just blank.

Mike LM

Postby Mike LM » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:26 pm

@Sabre57- Can you make another thread about your USB monitor issue? It'll make things easier to find for others who have the same problem.
Prepar3D® Software Engineer

morkunas

Postby morkunas » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:34 pm

Similar problem with a Mimo USB monitor. Unplugging the USB monitor allowed P3D v3 to startup normally. I have had other issues with P3D v2 and FSX starting up with the USB monitor active. Unplugging the monitor allowed the programs to launch normally. Not an issue for me but for pit builders who use multiple USB monitors this I would a assume is a major issue.

Andrew

naf125

Postby naf125 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:56 am

I have the same issue. Any other solutions available then just turn off the USB monitor? I want to use this monitor for the FMC because the USB monitor is a touch screen.

gblair

Postby gblair » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:06 pm

Did anyone find a fix for this ?

gblair

Postby gblair » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:27 pm

I have a multiple monitor setup for my virtual cockpit but none of the monitors are USB monitors.

Has anyone found a fix for this.

No response from Lockheed Martin ?

Sabre57

Postby Sabre57 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:42 am

About a month ago LM asked for setup information of the folks who were having this issue. Several individuals responded. I haven't heard if a fix has been identified.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”