NVIDIA 353.06 and G-SYNC?!

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Cornflex

Postby Cornflex » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:17 am

Did someone test the new drivers 353.06 with P3D and g-sync enabled?
The drivers change log says g-sync now works in windowed mode:

Gaming Technology
Supports G-SYNC technology in windowed mode, offers both G-SYNC (V-SYNC on) and G-SYNC (V-SYNC off) options, support for Ultra-Low Motion Blur (ULMB) in the NVIDIA Control Panel, provides Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) for notebooks with discrete GeForce GPUs, and optimizations and bug fixes which can provide increased performance for Kepler-based GPUs.

cyborgen

Postby cyborgen » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:03 am

Do you have one of those new fancy G-sync monitors ?

http://www.pcgamer.com/seven-new-g-sync-monitors-on-the-way-including-144-hz-ips-asus-display/

Looks like this G-Sync (Nvidia), FreeSync (AMD) battle is going to force us to invest into new monitors and cards using DisplayPort:

http://www.vesa.org/news/vesa-adds-adaptive-sync-to-popular-displayport-video-standard/
This technology delivers several important capabilities to computer users: Adaptive-Sync provides smoother, tear-free images for gaming and judder-free video playback. It also significantly reduces power consumption for static desktop content and low frame rate video.

Alice and her friends resume their fall into the tech rabbit hole burning cash at an exponential rate ;)

Sensient279

Postby Sensient279 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:17 pm

I did yesterday and today. I have an AOC G2460PG and was surprised, that Nvidia had released a driver to support windowed mode.
There is some good news and some not so good news (so far, haven't tested much of it).

Good news: If you are in an area your frames don't ever (even for a split second) drop below 30fps, it is the smoothest thing I have ever seen. Panning around an aircraft or a scenery is so smooth, I forgot I'm in P3D.

Not so good news: If the framerate drops below 30fps, the brightness flickers slightly. It is not a huge deal, but noticeable and is something I focus on. The immersiveness described above suffers. This may be caused by setting (framerate is not limited by the way), my screen, the driver or a combination the three. I'll be playing with the settings and see what comes from it.

Nemex

Postby Nemex » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:21 pm

I had the same experince as Mark.

I'm using a 3x ROG Swift setup with 7830x1440 pixels bezel corrected. If the fps is between 30-40 the experience is as smooth as it gets, going below 25 will result in slight brightness flicker. This is a known limitation of G-Sync and will happen on all monitors at some point. Basically a LCD screen needs to refresh at some point. G-Sync works some magic and starts doubling the refresh rate in intervals. At very low fps this gets noticable as brightness flicker. The tech behind it is pretty complicated, if someone is interested google for PCper, they have some great articles about G-Sync.

I still love G-Sync and the new drivers. It's a big step forward and yes lights are still working!

turbineseaplane

Postby turbineseaplane » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:24 am

Anyone perhaps willing to kindly share a video of this super smoothness?
Has me really interested in G-Sync all of the sudden! :-)

Nemex

Postby Nemex » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:27 pm

I'm afraid a video can't catch what G-Sync does. As all videos are fixed framerate and are very likely watched at a fixed refresh on a screen the whole effect of G-Sync will be lost.

I didn't believe this whole magic thing at first as well, because I couldn't experience it through videos. Until I had a 1st hand experience with the NVIDIA pendulum demo on a G-Sync setup. The difference was stunning. Maybe one of the electronic stores near you are showing of some G-Sync/Freesync monitors. They are getting finally more common now.

pmb

Postby pmb » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:34 pm

As a sidenote: Does this mean VSync=1/2 on a normal monitor (i.e. not G-Sync enabled) will work now in pseudo-fullscreen mode as it did in FSX as well?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael
Prepar3d4 Pro // Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus Z170 / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung2 SSD 500 GB + SSD 1 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / Win 10/64

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”