Drastically longer load times when using the add-on.xml method vs scenery.cfg?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
markm75

Drastically longer load times when using the add-on.xml method vs scenery.cfg?

Postby markm75 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:27 am

I have been doing extensive testing with p3dv4 (hot fix 1).. i've converted all of my sceneries to add-on xml types.. stored in the my documents area.. coupled with the Lorby Addon Manager tool..

My findings are, that at least with a very large amount of scenery and large amount of add-on xml folders.. the parsing (i think) causes long load times.

An example, without any add-on.xml entries (folders moved out of the my docs area for testing).. it might take 1min20sec to load up all of FTX (a lot of areas/airports, ftxg, openlc etc), UTX + FreeMesh..

If i then put all my addons back in the folder.. but this time DISABLE them.. the time grows to 2min44sec, roughly 1min24 sec longer.

Then, if i enable all of the addons, i end up with 6min45 seconds for a full load of everything.

**The real comparable here is that if i migrate the addon entries into scenery.cfg and move all addon folders temporarily out of my docs area.. the load time will still only be 3min29sec for the same full load, which took 6min45 via a mixture of scenery.cfg (utx,ftx,fm) and the addon xml folders, roughly 3min10 sec longer. **

My goal was to go all add-on.xml, but these findings seem like doing so really slows things down.. and i'm running the p3d drive on an evo 850 1TB samsung drive.. the OS is also this same drive, while the my docs are stored on a 7200 rpm sata III.. i have tried doing a junction and "moving" the my docs to the SSD, but that didnt seem to help matters.

I start the (default f22 scenario) twice for each test to rule out caching slow downs.

Any thoughts on this.. i took this on as more of a science/tech challenge and found this out.. not sure that many have gotten this deep at this point? Might this be improved in future P3D updates somehow?

Thanks in advance
Tech, the Universe, Everything www.tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy www.flight-stew.com

Martyson

Re: Drastically longer load times when using the add-on.xml method vs scenery.cfg?

Postby Martyson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:57 am

"I have been doing extensive testing with p3dv4 (hot fix 1).. i've converted all of my sceneries to add-on xml types.. stored in the my documents area."

Are the add-on scenery developed and approved for P3Dv4 and come with their own installers?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

markm75

Re: Drastically longer load times when using the add-on.xml method vs scenery.cfg?

Postby markm75 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:44 pm

"I have been doing extensive testing with p3dv4 (hot fix 1).. i've converted all of my sceneries to add-on xml types.. stored in the my documents area."

Are the add-on scenery developed and approved for P3Dv4 and come with their own installers?
Many of them are p3dv4 supported.. but yes some are not.. which is why i'm using the add-on.xml method for those ones.. so they can be turned on and off at will and it makes the p3d install more modular, with all addons outside of the p3d folder.. any non p3dv4 addons i capture by installing to my dummy/blank p3dv3 folder.. so no root p3d folders are touched.. those files are added as components under the "other addons" area of Lorby's tool

It feels like this issue is a numbers game.. as soon as you hit a certain count, say over 150 items in the addons my docs folder.. things begin to drag on starting the default scenario.

I dont feel this is p3dv3 vs v4 related either because of this and the fact that if you turn off/disable.. ALL addons via the tool or by changing the xml entry for active=true to false.. it still takes well over 1min25+ seconds to load vs just removing those addons from the my docs addons folder.. this to me feels like a slow parsing issue.

I think for now i'm going back to the scenery.cfg method.. using the tool i've exported to scenery.cfg all the areas, as mentioned.. i get the expected load time that should be had with the add-on xml method.

markm75

Postby markm75 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:36 pm

Another example of the addon xmls causing a bit of delay is this..

In one scenerio.. i have put all FSDT and Flight Beam entries in with the combined scenery.cfg such that there are no entries in add-on.xml (i have maybe 7 FSDT and 4 FB entries)..

First load 4min24sec.. second load 3min30 sec...

Now if i remove those entries from scenery.cfg and put back the xml's for them in the addons folder.. then the load time becomes 4min30sec on any load.. roughly 1 minute longer.

These are all p3dv4 compatible/installers too.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”