Shadow cast from land to object - P3Dv4

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
Dimus

Shadow cast from land to object - P3Dv4

Postby Dimus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:36 am

I am in the process of developing an alpine grass airport scenery with underground hangar, where a 3d-object represents part of the land, blended into the mesh. Also photo tiles are used and the 3d-object is textured using parts of the same photo tiles and the default detail1.bmp is applied to it.

While testing different times and seasons to check some bump maps on textures, I realized that the shadow cast from the mountain is not applied at all to the 3d model that represents the hangar and the rocks around it. However, it is nicely cast on the factory building 3d object just next to it. The same also applies to the general lighting of the ground compared to the object, as in low light you can clearly see where the object stops and the ground starts, while the difference is more subtle at midday, with more direct light on the surface.

At first, I realized that the factory texture has a bump map assigned while the grass has not. So I assigned a quick bump map to it just to check but that did not work. I checked all texture settings in MCX and they are identical. The only other difference between them is that the factory is made by a friend in FSDS, while the rock object is made by me in Sketchup. However, both were recompiled in MCX. To keep backwards compatibility, I still use the FSX SDK in MCX to compile models.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Dimus

Re: Shadow cast from land to object - P3Dv4

Postby Dimus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:36 am

OK, while fiddling with settings I found out that if in v4 "Lighting" settings I also set "simulation objects" to receive shadows, I get the land shadow cast on my rock/hangar object too:

So that leaves me with the question why v4 thinks my bgl is a sim object and not a building. Also the weird different lighting on the object and the ground still remains. This does not happen at all in v3:

Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: Shadow cast from land to object - P3Dv4

Postby Clifton Crane » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Hello,

Which version of Prepar3D v4 are you using? Have you tried clearing your Shaders directory located in %APPDATA\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders?

Thanks.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer

Return to “Scenery Development Questions”