[RESOLVED] C-130J external texture issue

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
endl3ss

[RESOLVED] C-130J external texture issue

Postby endl3ss » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi,

I've got a small, but annoying issue with some of the external textures on the C-130J in P3D v4.4. It affects both included liveries, as well as any homegrown liveries.
The vertical stabilizer, engines, external tank and main gear well textures have a different color shading than the rest of the aircraft.

As far as I've been able to tell, most of these textures reside in the file "C130_4_T.dds", with some possibly in some other files.
I've had this issue with P3D v4.3 as well, so it isn't anything new. I've not seen it in any other aircraft, neither those incuded with P3D nor any third party ones. I do see it on all the USAF C-130 models though, as well as the AC-130.

I haven't really done anything special to my simulator, and everything else works fine, the aircraft flies well and all.
The only addons that I can see could potentially see might affect the textures, is PTA 2.63 and ENVSHADE/ENVTEX, but I don't undertand why it would affect just parts of the textures.

I upgraded both client and content when going from v4.3 to v4.4, even deleting the C-130 folders to make sure nothing was left behind (since I did have this issue in v4.3 as well), but the bug still remains.

So I don't really know where to start to try to fix this, if it is fixable, and any pointers would be much appreciated!

Martyson

Re: C-130J external texture issue

Postby Martyson » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:58 pm

I took a quick look.
This is what I see P3Dv4.4:

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

endl3ss

Postby endl3ss » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Yeah, exactly my suspicion.
Why is mine different? I haven't done anything to the C-130 textures, not in v4.3 nor in v4.4.
Does anybody have an idea about why this happens?

Martyson, are you using any kind of shaders or enhancements (Tomato, ENVSHADE/ENVTEX, PTA or similar), and if so which ones?

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:12 pm

Yeah, exactly my suspicion.
Why is mine different? I haven't done anything to the C-130 textures, not in v4.3 nor in v4.4.
Does anybody have an idea about why this happens?

Martyson, are you using any kind of shaders or enhancements (Tomato, ENVSHADE/ENVTEX, PTA or similar), and if so which ones?
No.
Just P3D default.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

endl3ss

Postby endl3ss » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:08 pm

All sorted!

After reading up on things I don't really understand, like "Texturing Aircraft Models", downloading SDKs, paintkits and fiddling around with the .dds plugin in Photoshop, and messing around with DXTBmp, the solution turned out to be a tad simpler:

Under the SHADOWS menu:
External Vehicle - Untick receive.

or

- Set EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=0

endl3ss

Postby endl3ss » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:23 pm

All good, matter is resolved, and thread can be closed :)

Return to “Miscellaneous”