Disable TrackIR in external views

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
troye

Disable TrackIR in external views

Postby troye » Thu May 26, 2016 8:49 am

Is there a way to automatically disable TrackIR 5 in external views and use the joystick hat switch instead. FS2004 did it completely automatically and for FSX there is a wonderful little utility called JAB_FSX which also does it automatically.

I know one can use a button press to disable TrackIR every time and then re-enable it again once inside the cockpit, but that is so annoying and also wastes a precious button. I'm sure LM must have thought about this as they developed all the successive versions of P3D and i just don't know where to look?

avi8tor

Re: Disable TrackIR in external views

Postby avi8tor » Thu May 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi,

By default it is the F9 key to enable/disable TrackIR. So no need to program a Button of the Joystick. Otherwise I'm also curious, if there is a way to tune a CFG File...
i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz (Cores & Cache), HT Off, GTX1080Ti, Win7, 64-Bit, 16GB RAM @ 2400MHz

troye

Postby troye » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi avi8tor, looks like no-one else is responding, so there is probably not a solution to this. Yes, I know the F9 button enables and disables TrackIr, but then you have to take your eyes off the screen (in my case) and hand off the joystick to look for the key each time to press it. I change views quite a lot during a flight, so for me it is a constant interruption. In FSX, the JAB_FSX utility (which runs in the background) does that automatically, so no need to press anything.

This is probably the single biggest factor preventing me from using P3D. I don't care how good it is (and I'm not convinced it is actually much better than FSX), but I just cannot stand that constant interruption to press keys or buttons or having to crane my neck and eyes around in absurd unnatural positions for external views, when I can enjoy a perfectly behaved TrackIR in FSX. I think this is just one more reason why FSX will remain the flight sim market leader.

DaveWG

Postby DaveWG » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:57 pm

JAB_FSX does work, just start it manually after loading P3d.

troye

Postby troye » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:19 am

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. However, JAB_FSX still doesn't work for me. Everything starts off allright, eg in the cocpkpit, green lights on TrackIR sensor and I'm able to look around etc. But the moment I switch to another view, P3D freezes solid and the TrackIR sensor displays amber lights. It is the same whether I start JAB_FSX ahead of P3D or afterwards. The only way out of there is to quit P3D.

I run P3d v3.2 and JAB_FSX v1.2.0.0. (tied to my FSX SE exe file). Is there any setting which I need to change perhaps?

I so want this to work and have tried since P3D v2, but had no luck so far and stuck to FSX.

DaveWG

Postby DaveWG » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:42 am

Not sure. I don't normally use TrackIR (never could get used to it), but I tried it last night with JAB_FSX as I thought it did work so wanted to comfirm. I used P3dv3.3. I think the JAB version was v1.2. (not at PC at the moment to check). I didn't change any settings, just had to start it after loading a flight or it wouldn't pause TIR. No crashes though. Maybe it's using a different version of SimConnect? Sorry I can't be any more specific.

troye

Postby troye » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:41 am

OK I found the solution. I vaguely remembered disabling some keybindings in FSX after installing JAB_FSX, but have done that so long ago that I couldn't recall. But by comparing key functions in P3D vs FSX, found that the F9 and F12 keys were unbound in FSX whereas they were bound in P3D (to virtual cockpit and View Camera 4). Those keys are also used by TRackIR and JAB_FSX for disabling/enabling and centering and there is clearly a conflict between JAB_FSX and P3D when those keys are still bound, becuase JAB_FSX emulates keypresses.

Well, to make a long story short, I unbound/disabled those keys in P3D and whala, I can now use TrackIr in P3D exactly as I can in FSX and it is disabled in outside views. For the first time ever, I had a decent flight in P3D that I could actually enjoy and one of the first thing I noticed is the silky smooth frame rates and yes, the graphics quality is better. Now I can finally invest in P3D and prepare for the migration from FSX.

Thanks DaveWG, for replying and even though you didn't give me the solution, the mere fact that I knew it worked for you, gave me the determination to pursue the solution.

NVFlyboy

Postby NVFlyboy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:07 pm

Where in P3D did you go to unbound the keys in question?

Return to “Miscellaneous”